I have already sent a message to MaryBeth on my opposition to the dues
increase, but wanted to share my concerns with people in the chapter and the
industry.

As Candace White noted in her message, PRSA is one of the more expensive
professional organizations.  There has been a long-stranding suspicion,
which manifested itself at the last few conferences when dues increases were
proposed (and voted down) that PRSA doesn't operate as efficiently as it
should and that we may not be receiving full value for our dues.  PRSA needs
to do better than sending out a two page letter explaining what it wants to
do - it must explain how our membership dollar is being spent and why it
needs more funding. As an organization that stresses the value of effective
communication, it is sure doing a poor job of it now.

As much value as I find in PRSA (especially its publications), I would
probably have to think about ceasing my membership if the cost of membership
escalates beyond the current level. My company is small and does not pay for
all of my dues.  PRSA needs to keep in mind that not everyone can afford to
pay over $200 per year, and that there are other professional organizations
who can help supply some of the networking opportunities and technical
content.

Anyway, I yield the soapbox.

Sandy Smith
Manager, Marketing Communications