Dear Tennessee Library Workers -

I'm very pleased and proud to announce the first issue of Tennessee Libraries in 2024 is now available to read. This is a good one. Many thanks to my editors Andrea and Rhonda and the authors from TNLA who worked so hard to make this essential issue excellent.  Do you have anything to share regarding censorship, book challenges, or challenges to intellectual freedom in Tennessee or beyond? I'd love to read more about the issues libraries are facing in higher ed, as well as larger multi-branch urban libraries. Does anyone feel uniquely vulnerable, engaged, or protected? I recently spoke with a program coordinator for a smaller branch of the Memphis Public Library and Information Center who seemed surprised when I asked about book challenges. He was more concerned about getting people through the door and into the library than worrying about whether they may find offense in the collection. Also, do you have a pitch? I love to work with writers....send me an idea!

- Ashley

SPECIAL ISSUE: Book Challenges and Tennessee Libraries

Letter from the Editor

by Ashley Roach-Freiman

Fear and Loathing in Tennessee: Librarians Face Anxiety, Burnout, Job Threats, and Hate Speech Due to Book Challenges and Legislation

by Alex Sharp, Jessica McClure, and Cassandra Taylor

ON DISPLAY

Modern True Crime Novels by Women Authors

by Andrea Kincaid

BOOK REVIEWS

Edited by Rhonda Tippitt

The Letters of Flannery O'Connor and Caroline Gordon

Reviewed by Olivia Chin

A Weary Land

Reviewed by Julie Huskey

Blank

Reviewed by Kelly Maust

Ashley Roach-Freiman (she/her/hers)
Editor, Tennessee Libraries
Library Instruction Curriculum Coordinator
Research and Information Services
Ned McWherter Library
University of Memphis
901.678.8213