Dear Geography and Sustainability Community,

Happy to share with you that our department is highlighted in a Knoxville News article this morning (see below).

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/local/2024/02/13/knoxville-beck-center-creating-black-history-app/72509926007/

The article mentions our partnership with the Beck Cultural Exchange Center and the fine work of our students in helping map the negative impact of 1950s-1960s urban renewal on major parts of the African American community in Knoxville.

Much of this work was done as part of popular GIS in the Community course along with two of our faculty/staff members serving on the planning committee for the Beck Cultural Corridor. A special word of thanks is extended to Michael Camponovo and Mayra Roman-River for helping lead this work with students most recently.

Finally, I am grateful to distinguished alum Kurt Butefish for letting me know of the publication of the piece.

Best wishes,

DA

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

He / Him / His

Professor of Geography, Dept. of Geography & Sustainability

President-Elect, Faculty Senate

University of Tennessee

Voice: (865) 974-0406

Member, Federal Advisory Committee on Reconciliation in Place Names (DOI)

Founder, Tourism RESET

Past President, American Association of Geographers (2017-18)

Email: [log in to unmask], Twitter/X: @MLKStreet

https://derekalderman.com/