Dear Geographers and Sustainers:

Are you looking for a GIS course with a focus on humans?  A new GIS course, GEOG 425: Human Dimensions in GIScience, will be offered in Spring 2024 at 11:20 am - 12:35 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

This course will cover topics such as "What are the roles of humans in choosing GIS representation/visualization of various features (e.g., roads, land cover) and places (e.g., downtown Knoxville)?", "how do humans influence GIS analysis outcomes?", "how do we represent humans in GIS?", "what are the implications of volunteered geographic information and citizen science to GIS?", "what are different ways of engaging communities in GIS?", "what are some key social equity and social justice issues in GIS?", "how to deal with geo-privacy and geo-ethics challenges in GIS?", etc.

More interestingly, this course will use ChatGPT and Google as major tools to facilitate learning and discussions.  You will learn how to use ChatGPT and Google to enhance your learning as well as the pros (benefits) and cons (limitations) of using ChatGPT in your learning.

I look forward to having you in this new and exciting course!  A copy of the course flyer is attached for your information.  Please feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for additional information.

All the best,

Shih-Lung
Shih-Lung Shaw, Ph.D.
Past President, University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (UCGIS)
Chancellor's Professor & Alvin and Sally Beaman Professor
Department of Geography and Sustainability
304 Burchfiel Geography Building
Phone: (865) 974-6036