Dear Geography and Sustainability Community,

First of all, thanks to many of you who attended the Geography Awareness Week (GAW) activities this week, especially yesterday.  We had a splendid crowd at the distinguished lecture  by Dr. Pearce. We had great questions and participation from the audience. An even greater thanks to the many folks—faculty, staff, and students—who helped make GAW and yesterday’s Lunch/Learn and Lecture happen.

Secondly, please join me in congratulating Katrina Stack on being the lead author a highly interesting piece just published by the Conversation, a non-profit news outlet that specializes in working with scholars to translate their research into readable, public-facing essays/articles.  See the piece below that she co-authored with the noted cultural geographer/memory scholar Rebecca Sheehan of Oklahoma State University in the lead up to the anniversary of the Gettysburg Address.

https://theconversation.com/gettysburg-tells-the-story-of-more-than-a-battle-the-military-park-shows-what-national-reconciliation-looked-like-for-decades-after-the-civil-war-215788

If anyone has interest in engaging the Conversation, we have support folks at UT and you can always approach Katrina, Dr. Ellis, me, and many other faculty in our unit who have authored pieces.

Now if only our football team could be as successful as our Geography and Sustainability program!

Best wishes,

DA

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

He / Him / His

Professor of Geography, Dept. of Geography & Sustainability

President-Elect, Faculty Senate

University of Tennessee

Member, Federal Advisory Committee on Reconciliation in Place Names (DOI)

https://derekalderman.com/