Dear Geography and Sustainability Community,

We are at the beginning of Geography Awareness Week, a special time each year in which our discipline and its university programs and professional workplaces promote the value of geographic perspectives, skills, and education.

As part of this year’s celebration, we are very fortunate to host Dr. Margaret Pearce, who is a Citizen Potawatomi tribal member and an award-winning cartographer living on Penobscot homelands in Maine. She is a recipient of National Geographic Wayfinder Award and a prestigious Guggenheim Fellowship.

A reception will be held in Dr. Pearce’s honor immediately before her Distinguished Lecture on Nov. 16 (Thursday). The reception begins at 3:40pm in the Strong Hall Atrium space. At 4:10pm, we will start Dr. Pearce’s talk in Strong Hall 101 (with introductions by our Dept Head, Dr. Nagle).

On behalf of our department’s Special Events Organizing Committee, allow me to invite all of you--students, faculty, staff--to attend the reception and the distinguished lecture.  This is an important time to celebrate the strong community of geographers and sustainers we have established at UT.

Please see the attached flier and do what you can to attend and support the other planned Geography Awareness Week events.

Best wishes,

DA

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

He / Him / His

Professor of Geography, Dept. of Geography & Sustainability

President-Elect, Faculty Senate

University of Tennessee

Voice: (865) 974-0406

Member, Federal Advisory Committee on Reconciliation in Place Names (DOI)

Founder, Tourism RESET

Past President, American Association of Geographers (2017-18)

Email: [log in to unmask], Twitter/X: @MLKStreet

https://derekalderman.com/