Dear Geography and Sustainability Community,

I hope everyone’s semester is going well. As registration for Spring 2024 approaches, please allow me to announce a course to be offered for the first time at UTK: GEOG 421, Maps, Society, and Power. I have attached a promotional slide and please see information below for more information.  Students from all sub-fields (physical/environmental, human, geospatial, and sustainability) are welcome.

Best wishes,

Dr. Alderman

GEOG 421 - Maps, Society, Power

3 Credit Hours

Exploration of maps as historical and contemporary technologies of social power and resistance; wider political lives and place-making power of maps; ethical and social justice implications of cartography and geospatial analysis.

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

He / Him / His

Professor of Geography, Dept. of Geography & Sustainability

President-Elect, Faculty Senate

University of Tennessee

Voice: (865) 974-0406

Member, Federal Advisory Committee on Reconciliation in Place Names (DOI)

Founder, Tourism RESET

Past President, American Association of Geographers (2017-18)

Email: [log in to unmask], Twitter/X: @MLKStreet

https://derekalderman.com/