Dear Sustainers and Geographers,

  Global Studies, along with the Department of Geography and Sustainability and other Departments will be hosting  Dr. Bustanul Arifin, an Indonesian agricultural economist who will talk about sustainable coffee practices on Monday, Sept. 11, at the I-house.  More information about the talk is below, along with information about other events of interest this week.

cheers, Solange.
________________________________
From: Gellert, Paul Kenneth <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 5, 2023 8:16 AM
Subject: 5Sept2023 Global Studies blast

Hi Global Studies community,

The weather is not cooling down and neither are global events on campus. Next Monday is our first Global Studies talk of the year! Dr. Bustanul Arifin, Indonesian agricultural economist will be speaking about sustainable coffee. I-House will be providing certified sustainable Indonesian coffee at the event. Come with your curiosity and your questions!!  I’ve attached the “digital screen” version of the poster. If you want the FB, Instagram or PDF version, send me an email.

Students, note the details about the International Showcase on the ag campus on Sept. 22. They have some interesting study abroad opportunities to check out!

I’ve added a new category to the announcements below for “Kudos”. This week we congratulate our indefatigable advisor, Emilie Wise as well as Ethan Harrison (BA 2022) and Tamra Gilbertson (PhD 2020) on their accomplishments! If you have global news about yourself or someone you know, send it my way!

Paul

Paul Gellert, Ph.D.

Professor of Sociology

Director of Global Studies

University of Tennessee, Knoxville

Declare Global Studies major or minor: http://tiny.utk.edu/DeclareGLBS

Follow our Youtube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz3k9e64HfleWzGFrTdkyIg/featured> channel

The University of Tennessee-Knoxville is built upon part of the traditional territory of the Tsalagi peoples (now Eastern Band of Cherokee, Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, and United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee) and Tsoyaha peoples (Yuchi, Muscogee Creek), an ongoing and living presence in the region and beyond.

KUDOS

Emilie Wise, Coordinator for Academic Advising, Department of Sociology and Global Studies won the NACADA Outstanding Advising Award in the Primary Advising category.

Ethan Harrison, Global Studies major student who graduated in December 2022 shared that the book chapter he co-authored with Prof. Madhuri Sharma on Urbanisation and Urban Villages: an Overview of Slum Communities in India was published<https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-031-24767-5_5> in a book on Urban Commons, Future Smart Cities, and Sustainability (Springer).

Tamra Gilbertson (Ph.D. from UT Sociology, 2020), UT lecturer and Indigenous Environmental Network staff, has been awarded a Senior Research Grant award from TRAJECTS<https://trajects.org/> to return to Colombia for the fall. After the long COVID delay, she will share her research findings with the communities where she did research. She will also follow up on that research and conduct new research on Colombia's energy transition. While there, she will also be working on a climate and environmental justice curriculum with Friends of the Earth, Colombia (CENSAT) at the Universidad Surcolombiana and support the organizing of a conference on ecological economics with Dr. Andrea Cardoso, her colleague at Universidad de Magdalena where she conducted Fulbright-supported dissertation research.

FOR STUDENTS

International Showcase (Smith International Center)

🗓️ Friday, September 22, 2023

🕑 11:30 am -2:30 pm

📍 Brehm Animal Science Lawn

🔗 UT calendar info here<https://calendar.utk.edu/event/passport_workshop?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=University+of+Tennessee%2C+Knoxville>

The 2023 UTIA International Showcase, being held in conjunction with the UTIA Study Abroad Fair, on September 22nd from 11:30-2:30 pm. This event will be held at Brehm Animal Science Arena and will feature international food trucks, interactive booths highlighting our study abroad programs and international research, global games on the lawn and even more activities. We will once again be conducting a silent auction with items from around the world and canvas print photos from our International Photo Contest to fund study abroad opportunities. Join us to celebrate another year working to #GrowGlobal at UTIA. Stay tuned for more information!

In case you’re wondering… why should a Global Studies major should consider a Herbert College of Agriculture study abroad?

Agriculture and natural resources are intricately tied to society, culture, politics, and the economy. From the cultural implications of the food we eat to the intricacies of global water rights disputes, agriculture and natural resources are at the center of our world. As a Global Studies major, your ability to understand the complexities of natural world around you influences how you view global interconnections and inequalities. Studying abroad through a Herbert College of Agriculture program provides you the opportunity to explore these topics in more depth and witness first-hand the impact of globalization on our environment. Our programs will allow you to better understand contemporary issues facing agriculture and natural resources on a global scale, emphasizing global hunger, food security, climate change, and natural resource degradation.

If you have questions, feel free to contact Gracie Pekarcik, Study Abroad Coordinator

Smith Center for International Sustainable Agriculture

101 McCord Hall, 2640 Morgan Circle Drive

Book an advising appointment<https:[log in to unmask]>

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | https://smithcenter.tennessee.edu/<http://https/smithcenter.tennessee.edu/>

Spring 2024 class announcement (yes, I know fall semester just began…)

The good, the bad, and the weird in world cinema

Ital 493/ Cinema St 482 / WLC 482 / GLBS 482

T 11:20-12:35 and Th 11:20-2:10

Prof. Flavia Brizio-Skov

SEE FLYER

ONGOING

In Conversation: Will Wilson (McClung Museum)

[Man staring into camera]

🗓️ August 18, 2023–December 2, 2023.

🕑 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

📍 McClung Museum of Natural History and Culture

🔗 UT calendar info here<https://calendar.utk.edu/event/in_conversation_will_wilson>

Diné (Navajo) photographer Will Wilson’s ongoing Critical Indigenous Photographic Exchange project is dedicated to creating a contemporary vision of Native North America.  Through the exhibition, Wilson responds directly to the work of 20th-century photographer Edward Sheriff Curtis (1868–1952). Curtis is known for his 20-volume The North American Indian (1907-1930), which was created to capture the supposed vanishing race of Native Americans. Curtis’ photographs simplified and romanticized Native American life. In contrast, Wilson has created rich, complex portraits that center Indigenous perspectives.

Exhibition: Audacious Black Freedom Dreams

[Exhibition: Audacious Black Freedom Dreams]

🗓️ August 23, 2023–October 29, 2023.

🕑 10:00 am – 7:30 pm

📍 Art and Architecture Building, Ewing Gallery, Room 115

🔗 UT calendar info here<https://calendar.utk.edu/event/exhibition_audacious_black_freedom_dreams>

This exhibition features a multimedia projection and seven 7-foot banners created using digital collage. These images visually mimic the audio sampling used throughout hip hop musical production and the process of crafting a tight DJ set, which inspire the duo. This work prompts a conversation about Black liberation as a reality not yet fulfilled. By centering Black people within the narrative, BLACKMAU prompts the audience to imagine themselves in the spaces with the subject. Robinson and Grantham reference Black liberation texts with With Black Audacious Freedom Dreams, including Freedom Dreams by Robin D. G. Kelley, and We Want to Do More Than Survive by Bettina L. Love, which they include in a study area and curated library of Black texts in the exhibition. BLACKMAU<https://www.instagram.com/blackmau_official/>, is the collaborative duo of Stacey “BLACKSTAR” Robinson<https://www.staceyarobinson.com/>, and psychologist, Kamau “DJ Kamaumau” Grantham.<https://www.instagram.com/kamaumau/?hl=en>

TALKS

"Tensions in Researching the Work of Trauma of War and Refugee Resettlement" (Hammond Lecture, Dept. of Geography and Sustainability)

🗓️ Thursday September 7, 2023

🕑 4:00 - 5:30 pm

📍 Walters Life Science Building<https://calendar.utk.edu/walters_life_science_building_899>, Room M309

🔗 UT calendar info here<https://calendar.utk.edu/event/hammond_distinguished_lecture_tensions_in_researching_the_work_of_trauma_of_war_and_refugee_resettlement>

Dr. Patricia Ehrkamp (Department of Geography, University of Kentucky) discusses her recent collaborative study of the resettlement of Iraqi and Syrian refugees to the United States. She reflects methodologically on the practical tensions between researching the concept of trauma while not further traumatizing research subjects and yet taking the multiplicity and depth of their refugee experiences seriously.

“Lessons from Lampung (Indonesia): Coffee, Sustainability Certification, and Global Environmental Governance” (US in the Globe Series, Global Studies & Smith International Center)

[Flyer for talk (digital screen format)]

🗓️ Monday, September 11, 2023

🕑 2:00 – 3:30 pm

📍 I-House, Great Room

🔗 UT calendar info here<https://calendar.utk.edu/event/lessons_from_lampung_indonesia_coffee_sustainability_certification_and_global_environmental_governance_-_us_in_the_globe_speaker_series>

Agricultural economist Dr. Bustanul Arifin (University of Lampung, Indonesia) will visit UT and speak of his research on suitability certification and standards in coffee value chains and their consequences for farmers' welfare in Lampung, Indonesia, where more than 90 percent of coffee is produced by smallholders who farm 1 to 2 hectares (2.47 to 4.94 acres) of land. Dr. Arifin is Professor of Agricultural Economics at University of Lampung, Indonesia and Professorial Fellow at the School of Business, Bogor Institute of Agriculture (IPB), Indonesia. Co-sponsored by Dept of Geography & Sustainability.

"Afrofuturism and Digital Humanities" (UT Humanities Center’s “Dialogues”)

[Headshot of a Black man wearing glasses and a black zip-up shirt.]

🗓️ Monday, September 25, 2023

🕑 3:30 – 5:00 pm

📍 Hodges Library, Lindsay Young Auditorium

🔗 UT calendar info here<https://calendar.utk.edu/event/afrofuturism_and_digital_humanities_-_ut_humanities_center_distinguished_lecture?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=University+of+Tennessee%2C+Knoxville>

Visiting scholar Professor Julian C. Chambliss (Michigan State University). The case for Black Digital Humanities advocates for the transformative potential offered by the intersections of black studies and digital humanities. In this talk, I will discuss the implication of Afrofuturism 2.0 ideology offered by Afrofuturist thinkers such as Drs. Lonny Brooks and Reynaldo Anderson and how we might use their Afrofuturist framing to create digital humanities methodologies that address post-Reconstruction activism by African Americans. Julian C. Chambliss is a professor of English and the Val Berryman Curator of History at the MSU Museum at Michigan State University.

Artist Lecture: Stacey Robinson (Africana Studies Department)

[Artist Lecture: Stacey Robinson]

🗓️ Wednesday, October 4, 2023

🕑 5:30 – 6:30 pm

📍   Art and Architecture Building, Ewing Gallery, Room 109

🔗 UT calendar info here<https://calendar.utk.edu/event/artist_lecture_stacey_robinson_2561?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=University+of+Tennessee%2C+Knoxville>

Artist, Afrofuturist, and educator, Professor Stacey Robinson, Associate Professor of Graphic Design at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, was a 2019-2020 Nasir Jones Hip-Hop Fellow at Harvard University’s Hutchins Center for African & African American Research, and completed his MFA at the University at Buffalo in 2015. His work discusses decolonized Black futures. Illustrated books include: ‘I Am Alfonso Jones’ written by Tony Medina (2017) Lee & Low Books, and ‘Across the Tracks: Remembering Greenwood, Black Wall Street, and the Tulsa Race Massacre’, written Alverne Ball (2021) Abrams Books. Exhibitions include: Ascension of Black Stillness (CEPA Gallery) and The Black Angel of History (Carnegie Hall) 2022.

“Black Indigeneity in the Periphery” (Africana Studies Dept.)

[Woman in orange]

🗓️ October 13, 2023.

🕑 3:00-4:30 pm

📍 McClung Museum of Natural History and Culture

🔗 UT calendar info here<https://calendar.utk.edu/event/lecture_delisa_hawkes?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=University+of+Tennessee%2C+Knoxville>

Professor DeLisa D. Hawkes (Africana Studies Department)

will discuss literary and visual representations of Black Indigeneity in contexts that audiences have historically understood as singularly Black, Indigenous, or otherwise. Professor Hawkes will consider how these artistic representations shape our understanding of kinship, culture, and racialization processes in the United States. Prof. Hawkes specializes in nineteenth to twenty-first-century African American literature. Her current book project, tentatively titled Separate Yet Intertwined: Rediscovering Black Indigeneity in the New Negro Renaissance, examines literary representations of Black Indigeneity and Black and Native coalitions against white supremacy in African American literature.

“Partners in Sacred History: The Nonhuman Other in Early Islam” (Siddiqi Lecture, Dept. of Religious Studies)

[2016-04-08_Sarra_Tlili-2387-Edit-Edit]

🗓️ October 13, 2023

🕑

📍

🔗

Dr. Sarra Tlili, associate professor<https://languages.ufl.edu/people/faculty-alpha/sarra-tlili/> of Arabic Languages and Literatures, University of Florida, will discuss the role of animals in early Islamic texts and society.

“Mobilizing Ghosts for the Revolution” (UT Humanities Center / Asian Studies)

[A headshot photo of an Asian woman with chin-length hair and glasses]

🗓️ October 23, 2023.

🕑 3:00-4:30 pm

📍 McClung Museum of Natural History and Culture

🔗 UT calendar info here<https://calendar.utk.edu/event/lecture_delisa_hawkes?utm_campaign=widget&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=University+of+Tennessee%2C+Knoxville>

Dr. Xiaofei Kang, professor of religion at The George Washington University.

Religion has been commonly upheld as the archenemy of Communist revolutions around the world. This talk goes beyond the familiar stories of suppression and resistance to examines how Chinese Communist propaganda deployed traditional tropes of demonology, ritual exorcism, and other religious resources to construct a new gendered narrative of salvation for the Maoist revolution.

Celebration of New Book: Unsaid: Analyzing Harmful Silences

[Unsaid by Lois Presser]

🗓️ Friday November 10, 2023.

🕑 12:45-2:00 pm

📍 Hodges Library, Lindsay Young Auditorium

The Department of Sociology will celebrate the publication of Professor Lois Presser’s new book, Unsaid (UC Press) with Sukanya Bhattacharya as discussant. This book is a guide to understanding and uncovering what is left unsaid—whether concealed or silenced, presupposed or excluded. Drawing on a variety of real-world examples, narrative criminologist Lois Presser outlines how to determine what or who is excluded from textual materials.