Are you looking for ways to support CTE (Career and Technical Education) programs at your school? I attended the CTE Institute in Chattanooga in July and learned more about how resources in TEL may be helpful for CTE students and instructors. Here are some specific exams and databases that may be beneficial for various career clusters and standards.

Resume Builder found in Peterson’s Test and Career Prep

At many schools, if you are not pursuing post-secondary education, students are required to create a resume before graduation. If your school is requiring that, Peterson’s Test and Career Prep resume builder is excellent. Students can input their info and create professional quality resumes and cover letters.  As students create their own account, as long as they remember their username and password, they will still be able to access that resume after graduation.

Recommended resources for different career clusters –

•            Agriculture, Food, & Natural Resources

              Veterinary Technician Exam (VTNE) Prep Course includes interactive lessons and 3 practice tests

•            Architecture & Construction

              The Journeyman Electrician and Journeyman Plumber prep courses include exam information and multiple practice tests.

•            Business Management & Administration

TEL has a variety of databases to support research on companies and industries. There will be some overlap of content within these databases.

•            Education & Training

              There are a number of practice Praxis exams available for TAP students

•            Government & Public Administration

              There are some civil service and foreign service exams available for practice.

•            Health Science

              Additional research databases are available for medical research papers and professional development. (handout)

•            Human Services

•            Information Technology

              CompTIA A+ (Core 1: 220-1101, and Core 2: 220-1103) Exam Prep

•            Law, Public Safety, Corrections, & Security

              Law enforcement exams include correction officer, police officer, state trooper, U.S. border control, ICE, FBI and more practice exams and prep courses.

•            Transportation

              CDL, TSA, and Air Traffic Controller exams are available.

As most of these resources are found in Peterson’s Test and Career Prep – just a reminder that the interface will be getting updated on 9/11 so I’ll have a hand out available after the updates. If I missed anything that you recommend to your CTE students and instructors, please let me know and I’ll pass it along to everyone!

Thanks,

Andrea

Andrea Zielke

TEL Administrator

Tennessee Electronic Library

Tennessee State Library and Archives

Office of Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett

1001 Rep. John Lewis Way North

Nashville, TN 37219

p 615-532-4627

f 615-532-9904

This electronic mail may be subject to the Tennessee Public Records Act, Tenn. Code Ann. §10-7-503 et seq.  Any reply to this email may also be subject to this act.

The mission of the Office of the Secretary of State is to exceed the expectations of our customers, the taxpayers, by operating at the highest levels of accuracy, cost-effectiveness, and accountability in a customer-centered environment.

Secretary of State Social Media Links:

www.facebook.com/TennesseeSecretaryofState

www.facebook.com/TNStateLibraryArchives/timeline