Dear all, in case you are still looking for another class to take!

Economic Anthropology

Dr. Arsalan Khan

4:05 – 5:20pm T/R

Strong Hall Cottage

What is the economy? What is capitalism and how did it arise? Are the problems of poverty, inequality, debt, and crisis intrinsic to capitalism and how can they be resolved? Are there alternatives to capitalism and what might they look like? What is the future of the global economy?

These questions raise present a range of challenges when one begins to compare economic activities across historical periods and societies. In this class, we ask whether the economy is single unified sphere of life, whether it has always existed, and whether it can be said to exist in all societies. We examine the cultural and moral basis of diverse systems of exchange, production, consumption, and distribution, asking how economic activities relate to other aspects of society like family, religion, and politics. We also examine the cultural and moral basis of the dominant economic system in the modern world, namely capitalism.

Raja Swamy

(he/him/his)

Associate Professor

Department of Anthropology

Editor, Critical Disaster Studies

Co-Editor, Research in Economic Anthropology

University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN

https://anthropology.utk.edu/people/raja-swamy/

Building Back Better in India
Development, NGOs, and Artisanal Fishers after the 2004 Tsunami
(University of Alabama Press, 2021) | Companion website: http://bbbindia.org