Dear all,

In case you are still looking for some classes to take, here are two from Anthropology.

cheers, Solange.

From: Swamy, Raja Harish <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2023 8:00 AM
To: Munoz, Solange <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Fall Anthro courses

Dear Solange,

Hope you're having a good rest of your break. I'm writing to share information about two Fall courses Geography students may be interested in. Could you please share this information with them? Thanks in advance!

Best,

Raja

----------------------------------

ANTH 441 Economic Anthropology - Dr. Arsalan Khan
TR 4:05 pm - 5:20 pm

What is the economy? What is capitalism and how did it arise? Are the problems of poverty, inequality, debt, and crisis intrinsic to capitalism and how can they be resolved? Are there alternatives to capitalism and what might they look like? What is the future of the global economy?

These questions raise present a range of challenges when one begins to compare economic activities across historical periods and societies. In this class, we ask whether the economy is single unified sphere of life, whether it has always existed, and whether it can be said to exist in all societies. We examine the cultural and moral basis of diverse systems of exchange, production, consumption, and distribution, asking how economic activities relate to other aspects of society like family, religion, and politics. We also examine the cultural and moral basis of the dominant economic system in the modern world, namely capitalism.

ANTH 426 Decolonization - Dr. Tamar Shirinian
TR 12:55-2:10 PM

This course is an introduction to the large topic of decolonization. We will start by understanding what colonialism (including settler colonialism) was and is – its underpinnings, its objectives, and its mechanisms. Following this, we will investigate the histories of anti-colonial struggles in many parts of the world as well as neo-colonialism and imperialism. As a particularly anthropological exploration, we will also consider the writings of those who participated in anti-colonial struggles as well as those who critiqued the forms of neo-colonialism that they saw emerging within the global political economic landscape. We will critically examine different theoretical frameworks that have been created by scholars to understand colonialism and decolonization. This course will touch on various related historical processes and mechanisms, such as slave revolts, national liberation, the Cold War, feminist struggles throughout the 20th century, boycott and divestment movements, and queer solidarity.

----------------------------------

Raja Swamy

(he/him/his)

Associate Professor

Department of Anthropology

Editor, Critical Disaster Studies

Co-Editor, Research in Economic Anthropology

University of Tennessee
Knoxville, TN

https://anthropology.utk.edu/people/raja-swamy/

Building Back Better in India
Development, NGOs, and Artisanal Fishers after the 2004 Tsunami
(University of Alabama Press, 2021) | Companion website: http://bbbindia.org