North Carolina Institute for Climate Studies, NC State University

Date: Thursday, April 13, 2023 | Time: 4:05-5:20 PM

Auditorium: Nursing Education Building (NEB) 302 (open to the public)

Abstract: Climate monitoring requires long-term high-quality observations. However, the current observation networks and platforms are unevenly distributed across the world.

Dr. Yao will present a machine learning framework to blend long-term satellite observations and network-based climate observations to generate high-resolution climate data. The method leverages the frequent global data coverage provided by environmental satellites and the high-quality climate network observations. Additionally, he will discuss ongoing initiatives to leverage open science tools and cloud computing to develop tools that support non-traditional climate data users to access open climate data via NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information.

Sincerely,

LTT

PS Dr. Dimitris Herrera is the coordinator of this colloquium. Thank you very much, Dimitris!

Liem Tran, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Geography

Professor, Bredesen Center for Interdisciplinary

Research and Graduate Education

University of Tennessee at Knoxville
Tel: 865-974-6034; Fax: 865-974-6025