Department of Geography & Sustainability, UTK

Date: Thursday, April 27, 2023 | Time: 4:05-5:20 PM

Auditorium: Nursing Education Building (NEB) 302 (open to the public)

Abstract: Satellite data are critical for a wide range of environmental applications. In the past, access to satellite data was limited to researchers and professionals with expertise in remote sensing and image processing. However, with the increasing availability of open-access satellite data and cloud-computing platforms such as Google Earth Engine, Microsoft Planetary Computer, and Amazon Web Services, anyone can now gain insight into environmental changes on a planetary scale. This presentation will introduce you to open-source packages like geemap and leafmap, as well as interactive web apps that enable users to leverage the power of cloud computing for geospatial analysis. These tools are designed to be user-friendly and accessible, allowing anyone to explore and analyze satellite data for a wide range of environmental applications. Whether you are a researcher, student, or environmental professional, these tools can help you gain valuable insights into the state of our planet and the changes that are taking place.

[cid:09d9e744-7c90-43fa-ab0f-4d054167eb93]

Sincerely,

LTT

Liem Tran, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Geography

Professor, Bredesen Center for Interdisciplinary

Research and Graduate Education

University of Tennessee at Knoxville
Tel: 865-974-6034; Fax: 865-974-6025