Good Morning Geographers and Sustainers – UTK Geography alum Paul Dudley with STS is looking for a GIS intern to support a project in partnership with the Department of Health. Paul and the GIS team at STS would be an amazing group to work with for the summer. If you’re interested in the position but are nervous about your GIS data editing skills, let me know and I’ll show you some free ESRI training on the topic. Application deadline is coming up in early April.

MC

From: Paul Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, March 7, 2023 at 9:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: State of TN - Summer GIS Internship (Paid)

Good morning,

I would like to inform you and your students of an exciting summer internship opportunity in Nashville, TN.  Please see below and distribute to your students.

Thanks and have a great day!

-Paul Dudley

The State of Tennessee, Department of Health has spearheaded an exciting project with Strategic Technology Solutions GIS Services (STS-GIS) to catalog and promote statewide recreation assets focusing on Parks, Trails, and Greenways.  The project has been branded the Tennessee “TREC” (Trails, Recreation, Environment and Community) Project.

STS-GIS has started the build out of the TREC web application, GIS data conflation and GIS data enrichment.   The Department of Health has 2 internship openings to assist in this large effort.   The internship will be managed by the Department of Health, with the project tasking managed by STS-GIS.   This is a great opportunity to learn more about state government, GIS and networking!

Description of internship:

Work with STS-GIS Staff on data enrichment and quality control of the Statewide GIS TREC Database.  Tasks will be focused on creating/editing the geometry and attribution of TREC feature classes.   Interns will be using auxiliary sources, online research and communicating with local government contacts for data/information to enrich the TREC data.  Software/GIS to be used: ESRI ArcGIS Pro and ESRI ArcGIS Online.

When and Where:

~ May 15th – July 31st

~ 1 week orientation and training (in office 710 James Robertson Parkway, Nashville TN 37203)

Work will be hybrid - work from home, with scattered days in office.

Hours and Pay:

$16.00 per hour for up to 27 hours per week.

Experience Needed:

GIS data editing workflows in ArcGIS Pro – data creation, feature modification, and conflation

Online research skills

Problem solving skills

Communication skills

Knowledge of ArcGIS Online and data sharing workflows a plus

To apply:

Please send your CV/Resume with a Cover Letter to [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask] by April 4th 2023.

Thanks,

Paul

1513779001828

Paul Dudley | Location Intelligence Analyst

GIS Services

901 Rep. John Lewis Way North, Nashville, TN 37243

p. 615-770-3809

Check out our available GIS data and projects à http://tnmap.tn.gov