Speaker: Matt J McCarthy, PhD, Geospatial Science and Human Security Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Date: Thursday, March 2, 2023 | Time: 4:05-5:20 PM

Auditorium: Nursing Education Building (NEB) 302 (open to the public)

Abstract: Dr. Matt McCarthy is a Research Associate Scientist developing Remote Sensing algorithms for the processing of unprecedented volumes of high-resolution imagery Big Data.  Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s National Security Sciences Directorate conducts research in a variety of geospatial domains. Dr. McCarthy will discuss his work at the lab regarding the use of satellite data to map coastal topobathymetry, evaluate climate change threats, contribute to US emergency response efforts, and counter the trafficking of illicit material around the world.

Sincerely,

Liem Tran, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Geography

Professor, Bredesen Center for Interdisciplinary

Research and Graduate Education

University of Tennessee at Knoxville
Tel: 865-974-6034; Fax: 865-974-6025