Dear all,

Greetings! You are cordially invited to join the third webinar of the UCGIS webinar series in Spring 2023.

Title: The Convergence Curriculum for Geospatial Data Science

Presenter: Dr. Eric Shook (University of Minnesota) and Dr. Shaowen Wang (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign)

Moderator: Dr. Forrest Bowlick (University of Massachusetts - Amherst)

Time: Monday, March 6, 2023, 11am-12pm Pacific (2-3pm Eastern)

Registration link: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_VRtq8rj7TCmbW5-tS9ixyw

Abstract: The Convergence Curriculum for Geospatial Data Science is a major initiative supported by the National Science Foundation Institute for Geospatial Understanding through an Integrative Discovery Environment (I-GUIDE); and represents an integrative framework for preparing scholars, students, and professionals to solve complex convergence problems through critical computational and spatial thinking. Components in the curriculum are designed with varying depths: 3 sentences, 3 slides, a 3-hour module, or a 3-week unit so that foundational literacy of geospatial data science can be built across multiple areas without requiring a series of 15-week courses. In this webinar, we will explain the Convergence Curriculum’s design and initial implementation, where you can find examples of curriculum materials, and discuss how you can incorporate them into your in-class or out-of-class activities. This webinar is also an opportunity to provide feedback as we continue to develop, test, and evaluate the curriculum.

Presenters’ Bio:

Eric Shook's research and teaching focus on geospatial computing, situated at the intersection of geographic information science and computational science. He serves as the Vice-Chair for Education in the University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (UCGIS), PI of the NSF-supported Hour of CI project, and co-lead of the Education and Workforce Development team for the NSF-supported I-GUIDE project.

Shaowen Wang is Professor and Head of the Department of Geography and Geographic Information Science; and Affiliate Professor of the Department of Computer Science, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, and School of Information Sciences at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). He is a Faculty Fellow of the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation at UIUC. He has served as Founding Director of the CyberGIS Center for Advanced Digital and Spatial Studies at UIUC since 2013, and as Principal Investigator and Director of the NSF Institute for Geospatial Understanding through an Integrative Discovery Environment (I-GUIDE) since 2021. His research and teaching interests focus on geographic information science and systems (GIS), advanced cyberinfrastructure and cyberGIS, complex social and environmental problems, computational and data sciences, geospatial science and technology, high-performance and distributed computing, and spatial analysis and modeling. He served as President of UCGIS from 2016 to 2017, and as a member of the Board on Earth Sciences and Resources of the U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine from 2015 to 2020.

Qiusheng Wu, PhD
Assistant Professor of Geography
309 Burchfiel Geography Building
University of Tennessee, Knoxville