Happy Big Orange (and fall commencement and hooding) Friday, everyone.

I am writing ahead of the winter break with a few updates on our campus digital communication transformation initiative.

As a reminder, we are maintaining a SharePoint site to document this project at https://tiny.utk.edu/dx-comms. You can learn more about the initiative there, and you can always reach out to [log in to unmask] with questions and feedback.

-

utk.edu

Yesterday, we successfully launched utk.edu in the WordPress environment. As I’ve said before, this was largely a technical lift to bring the university’s flagship website into the same CMS as other websites across campus. There have been a few aesthetic and content modifications, but most of this is under-the-hood stuff. That is not to minimize the impact of this milestone (and the months of hard work that have gone into it).

Having utk.edu in the WordPress environment is the first step to greater integration of content and a more seamless user experience. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this work and to Chris Echols and Michael Purdy for their leadership.

-

CRM

Work continues with Salesforce in “Phase 0” (discovery). Their implementation team is leading numerous discussions to inform how they will build our instance of their CRM and Marketing Cloud platforms. We will have a good grasp on the scope of the first few phases of this project by the time of our spring Communicators Town Hall.

-

Intranet

The Office of Communications and Marketing and the Office of Information Technology have created information about the campus intranet platform and next steps on how to move forward. There is a lot to digest—too much to detail here—but everything is posted within a few pages on the SharePoint site linked above. If you want to jump straight there, go to https://liveutk.sharepoint.com/sites/CampusDigitalTransition/SitePages/intranet-about.aspx.

In a nutshell, the information we have released provides an overview of what an intranet is and how our intranet environment will be structured in SharePoint, along with information on how to get started. Many thanks to Kerry Gardner and Rose Parker for leading this effort.

-

We will continue to host monthly information sessions in the new year to provide regular opportunities for updates and discussion. We also plan to schedule office hours next semester to provide opportunities to dig into specific questions you likely have about your digital content and your role in this process.

I am so appreciative of your engagement in this endeavor. This university has undertaken a transformational process to improve the online experiences for our audiences. I am confident we will be successful because each of you is part of this work.

I hope everyone has a restful and peaceful holiday break and a joyous new year,

Jacob

--

Jacob Rudolph
Associate Vice Chancellor