Dear Geography & Sustainability Team,

We have a special event coming up next week, our annual Hammond Lecture.  It is a time that we reflect upon the Department’s history and host a distinguished scholar to deliver a talk and meet with/mentor various faculty members and students.

As you know, this year we are lucky to be able to welcome Dr. Rebecca Lave (of Indiana University), a widely cited scholar, a respected disciplinary leader, and the current Vice-President of the American Association of Geographers. Dr. Lave will speak at 4:05pm on Thursday, Sept. 22 in Walter Academic Building, Room M-309 on “Critical Physical Geography in Practice” (see attachment).

It is my pleasure, on behalf of the Department, to invite all faculty, staff, and students to a special reception in honor of Dr. Lave and in memory of Dr Edwin Hammond and his wife/partner Mr. Elizabeth Hammond, our lecture series’ namesakes. A reception with plenty of food will be available beginning at 3:30pm on Sept. 22 in Walters Academic Building B304, right across the hall from the M-309.

To provide a bit of history, the Hammonds arrived in Knoxville in 1970, the result of a nation-wide search for a Department Head. As Head, Edwin Hammond made several hires to fill important gaps in faculty expertise and facilitated a greater emphasis on faculty research and grant-seeking activities—which have now become the hallmarks of UT Geography & Sustainability. Mrs. Hammond worked hard and successfully to create a special social environment within the Department, one in which faculty and students felt that they belonged and mattered.  At the time of Elizabeth’s passing in the summer of 2013, many of our colleagues spoke highly of her kindness.

I hope many of you can make the reception and lecture.  In closing, allow me to express my appreciation to Pam Sharpe and MaryEllen Hunsberger for their great help in organizing the reception and Dr. Lave’s visit as well as Dr. Hyun Kim’s efforts as colloquium director.

Best wishes,

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

He / Him / His

Professor of Geography

Department of Geography & Sustainability

University of Tennessee

Voice: (865) 974-0406

Founder, Tourism RESET

Past President, American Association of Geographers (2017-18)

Email: [log in to unmask], Twitter: @MLKStreet