Hi folks,

This is an update for those of you participating in the E-Rate program or if you might be interested in starting!  Summertime in "E-Rate Land" is when we're juggling three fiscal years, so I wanted to be sure and outline reminders for you.  If you're like me and prefer a visual aid, I've attached the flowchart of the entire E-Rate process.

Remember that:

  *   We have finished up the FY21-22, so those of you who invoice with the BEAR method will need to be looking to file for final reimbursements.
  *   We've starting a new fiscal year of services (FY22-23)
  *   We're beginning a new cycle again with the FCC Form 470 for FY23-24 (remember, E-Rate is all about planning ahead!)

Let's look at the cycles in more detail now.

Funding Year 2021 (FY 2021 -2022) (Form 472- BEAR)

Our first stop is finishing up with Funding Year 2021.  For those who do not receive a discounted bill for your services, your last thing to do is to file your Form 472 BEAR form in order to get your reimbursement.  You'll need to know your BEN (Billed Entity Number), a copy of your funding commitment decision letter (FCDL) from this past year and a copy of your bills for the fiscal year.  Remember that the BEAR form access is available in your One Portal dashboard<https://forms.universalservice.org/portal/> now (no more PINs).  You will need to go through the two-step verification process to log in (enter your username and password, then request a verification code be sent to you, then enter the code and you're logged in!)
From your One Portal Dashboard, you'll see the FCC Form 472 BEAR portal option (see pic below):
[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Select the BEAR portal and you can begin filing your request for reimbursement.

  *   Don't have your FCDL?  You can pull it up in your EPC Portal at the top of your landing page.
  *   Don't have a copy of your bills? You've got time to pull them together, so you can input your amount for reimbursement.
  *   Don't have access to the BEAR form portal?  You must have a user account in EPC to request access to the BEAR form (another user cannot request access for you on your behalf).  Once you have a user account and are an authorized user to submit a BEAR form for your entity, you can request access using the BEAR Access Template<https://www.usac.org/e-rate/resources/forms/bear-form-access/>.

Please keep in mind that if you paid more than what you put down as your pre-discount total (it's in your FCDL), you can only ask for the maximum that you were funded.  If you didn't pay as much as you were funded, then you can only ask what you paid for.

Funding Year 2022 (FY 2022-2023) (Form 486)

Next is Funding Year 2022.  If you have already received your FCDL (Funding Commitment Decision Letter) with a positive commitment for this current funding year, your next step is to file the 486, which you access in your EPC portal<https://forms.universalservice.org/portal/login>.  You'll need your FCDL, and your portal login to file this form.

  *   Don't have a portal login (user account in EPC)?  You can call the SLD helpdesk at 888-203-8100, and they can set you up with one.

The deadline for this form is 120 days after your service start date or your FCDL date, whichever is later.  So, if you received your FCDL before July 1 and your service start date is July 1, your deadline is October 29th.  If you received your FCDL after July 1 or have a later service start date, you can calculate your deadline by going here - https://www.usac.org/sl/tools/deadlines/Default.aspx<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.usac.org/sl/tools/deadlines/Default.aspx__;!!PRtDf9A!_CTatGyU5rsbQASyG3RgSSXrhwsRwXMxUe-jgI_8oMyYqEtLSNvM56mFE-QS1DPtx_Y$> , and clicking on FCC Form 486 on the left side of the screen.  Just input your FCDL date on the left calendar, and your service start date on the right and click calculate.

Funding Year 2023 (FY2023-2024):

I know, I know.  It's already time to start thinking about a new funding year with E-Rate?  Yep!  Remember that, with E-Rate, it's all about planning ahead.  The FCC Form 470 for next fiscal year is already available in the EPC portal, but the deadline is usually not until mid-February.  I'll send out the official deadline when it's announced.

Now is a great time to log into your portal and make sure everything looks good - is all the information up-to-date?  Keep in mind that USAC locks your portal once the FCC Form 471 filing window opens, so now is a good time to make updates!

You'll need to determine what kinds of services you want for the next fiscal year.  Will you just be filing for Category 1 services or will you also be seeking Category 2?  This stage is all about planning and you have the time right now to be thinking about things.

Remember, if you have questions and you're in the regional system, you can always reach out to your regional Assistant Director.  I'm also available to answer questions - just contact me off-list, please.

All the best,
Liz

Liz Thigpen Schreck | Director
Ocoee River Regional Library
State E-rate Coordinator for Public Libraries
Office of Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett
718 George St., NW, Athens, TN 37303
P. (423) 745-5194 - office;  (423) 649-1583 - direct
Regional Toll Free - (855) 692-8186
Fax (423) 649-1501

This electronic mail may be subject to the Tennessee Public Records Act, Tenn. Code Ann. §10-7-503 et seq.  Any reply to this email may also be subject to this act.

The mission of the Office of the Secretary of State is to exceed the expectations of our customers, the taxpayers, by operating at the highest levels of accuracy, cost-effectiveness, and accountability in a customer-centered environment.

Secretary of State Social Media Links:
www.facebook.com/TennesseeSecretaryofState<http://www.facebook.com/TennesseeSecretaryofState>
www.facebook.com/TNStateLibraryArchives/timeline<http://www.facebook.com/TNStateLibraryArchives/timeline>