From: Katie Capshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 8:40 PM
Subject: [TASL Listserv] HB2666 Update
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Good evening members! Here is a recap of what happened today with HB2666:

It was passed as it was amended (what I shared last night) in the House
Finance, Ways and Means Subcommittee this morning. Sometime between then
and the 2:30 pm House Finance, Ways, and Means Full Committee an "untimely"
amendment was filed and added by the committee. I have attached the
amendment.

According to Representative Jerry Sexton who presented the bill to the
committee, the amendment states that instead of the Textbook Commission and
the State Library Coordinator creating a list, every school librarian with
their LEA will have to submit their library catalog or in his words, "list
of books" to the Textbook Commission for approval. Any books they do not
approve must be removed from the library. The amendment basically says that
but in Section 8 it still states:

SECTION 8. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 49-6-2201(a), is amended by
adding

the following as a new subdivision:
(4) The Tennessee state library coordinator shall serve as an ex officio
non-

voting member of the commission. The state library coordinator shall
recommend a list of materials, as defined in § 49-6-3802, to the commission
for approval. The list recommended by the state library coordinator must
contain, from the list of materials in the library collection of each
school operated by an LEA and of each public charter school submitted to
the commission pursuant to Section 9, materials that are appropriate for
the age and maturity levels of the students who may access the materials,
and that the materials are suitable for, and consistent with, the
educational mission of the school. The final list of materials approved for
inclusion in the school's library collection, as defined in § 49-6-3802,
must be approved by the commission before students may access the materials
as part of the school's library collection.

The bill also adds 3 people to the Textbook Commission (which is why it was
in the finance committee to approve the mileage reimbursement for the
commission members who are not paid). Two would be voting members and would
be school librarians or retired school librarians. The 3rd member added
would be the State Library Coordinator as a non-voting member.

The bill then passed with one no vote from Representative Sam Whitson with
the new amendment. It was sent from finance to the calendar committee. From
there it was passed to the House Floor for a vote of all the
Representatives tomorrow morning at 9 am.

This bill has already passed the Senate but with different amendments. That
amendment only adds the 3 new committee members as stated above and says
they will advise LEAs about age appropriate materials. I am attaching that
amendment in this email.

Here is what we understand will happen next. The bill will go to the House
floor to be voted on by all the members. If it passes the House, then the
House and the Senate must work out what the bill will actually be since
they are not amended the same. They must do this by Thursday, the last day
of the legislative session. We cannot count on them running out of time. My
sources tell me that they will come up with a plan before they go home on
Friday.

Here is what we need you to do tonight:

1. Contact your State Representative and ask them to vote no to HB2666. I
am including TASL's official statement on the bill if you would like to use
that or personalize it for your own library situation. Email, phone calls,
text if you have their numbers.

2. Contact your State Senator and ask that they not conform to the House
version of HB2666/SB2247 using the same points. Email, phone calls, text if
you have their numbers.

3. If you are comfortable, take to social media or contact other
stakeholders who will also contact their legislators.

Feel free to reach out to me, members of our advocacy committee,
intellectual freedom committee, or legislative task force if you have any
questions. We would also love to hear any responses that you get from your
legislators. Remember this is HUGE government overreach. Use the fact that
the governor has already passed a bill that deals with school library
materials and that the governor's office is not in favor of this bill as it
negates his bill, if you think that would resonate with your legislator.

Thank you so much! You are amazing people doing amazing things for the
students of Tennessee. We made a difference today! Keep up the great work.

Keeping you informed,
Katie Capshaw
2022 TASL President

TASL Statement on HB2666:

TASL rejects HB 2666, Amendment 2, which states," Requires the Commission
to issue a list of approved educational materials and books that may be
made available to students in a library operated by a local education
agency." The creation of a list of approved library books is gross
government overreach. A one-size-fits-all "approved collection" for school
libraries in Tennessee ignores the fact that a local school library houses
a collection tailored to the students it serves. The state risks losing
large sums of money (millions) invested in library materials if items *not*
*included* on the list have to be removed from collections. The newly
appointed state library coordinator should be focused on implementing
statewide initiatives, providing professional development, collecting data,
and improving library services across the state. In order to develop and
maintain a *statewide *proposed library materials list, the vast majority
of their time will be diverted to that task. As to the textbook commission,
a body of twelve voting members cannot possibly assess the individual needs
and interests of students in every school, as well as each school’s
educational mission. With over 6,000 books published every year and with
thousands of items already in our school library collections, how is the
commission going to have time to review all of the books on the state
coordinator’s list, which will be in the hundreds of thousands? What is
the fiscal impact of this? This commission will likely find itself in the
costly position of being sued for inclusion of OR failure to include
certain materials.  The Age Appropriate Materials Act signed by Governor
Lee addresses the legislature's concerns in that a selection policy and
reconsideration policy is in place in every district and school library
catalogs are published online. A school library is a place of voluntary
inquiry, and taking away local control of book selection is not what's best
for all students in Tennessee.

*   The official E-List of the Tennessee Association of School Librarians.*