Hi folks,

I wanted to share some helpful program reminders and additional information about the upcoming third ECF application window!

What are the ECF funds again?
The Emergency Connectivity Fund program provides funding to schools and libraries for the reasonable costs of laptop and tablet computers, Wi-Fi hotspots, routers, modems, and broadband Internet connections for use by students, school staff and library patrons at locations that include locations other than a school or library.  You can read more about this program on USAC's ECF page<https://www.emergencyconnectivityfund.org/about/>.

When can I apply for Emergency Connectivity Funds?
The third application window will open April 28th and close on May 13th .

Remind me again what the ECF funds can be used for?
ECF will only pay for Internet service/connected devices to support library patrons with an unmet need<https://www.fcc.gov/emergency-connectivity-fund-faqs> (who would otherwise lack access).  Remember, these services and devices are for off-site use (i.e., locations other than the library).  Funding can be used to pay for connected devices and internet services during July 1, 2022, through December 31, 2023.  HOWEVER, you can request no more than 12 months of service costs for Internet.

What if I applied for and received committed funding in one of the first two application windows?  Can I apply for this third round of ECF?
Yes - BUT - the service period must be different from the months already paid with Window 1 and 2 funding.  If you apply for continuation of services from a previous period, you will need to explain in your narrative on your ECF 471 that your new request in the third window is not duplicative of your previous window funding commitments.
If you intend to file again in the third window, determine the number of remaining months through 12/31/2023 for which service is still needed.  This will mean, you'll need to figure out when your 12-month service period for your Windows 1 or 2 will end (depending on when services are/were activated) and then determine the remaining need from there to figure out your Window 3 application time frame.
**If you bought devices or services using other COVID relief money, don't apply for ECF to cover those because you are not allowed to 'double dip' with ECF and other COVID relief money.**

Do I have to retain records and document use of the ECF equipment?
Yes.  Schools and libraries that participate in the ECF program are required to maintain inventories of devices and services purchased with ECF funds.  To see the particulars, please visit USAC's website on record retention requirements<https://www.emergencyconnectivityfund.org/application-process/record-retention-requirements/>.  It is important to note the following:

  *   There is a list of specific inventory information you must retain (i.e., serial numbers, full name of the person to whom the device was provided, dates the device was loaned out and returned, etc.) Again, please visit the USAC website about record retention to view all the required categories for asset and services inventory.
  *   Program participants must retain records for 10 years (same as E-Rate).
  *   Should USAC or the FCC request any of these records (i.e., for an audit), they will ... "request and safeguard the information in accordance with the applicable privacy laws and guidance, including using de-identified and anonymized information whenever possible."

I applied and received funding for ECF during the first two application windows.  What are some important dates I need to know?
I'm glad you asked!  This has been confusing, since the service delivery date was extended for the first and second windows, but I hope this will clear things up for you!  Let's look at the windows, comparatively:

  *   Windows 1 and 2 - services from July 1, 2021, through June 30, 2023 (only 12 months of service funded)
  *   Window 3 - services from July 1, 2022, through December 31, 2023 (only 12 months of service funded)
  *   Service Period overlap - 12 months from July 1, 2022, through June 30, 2023

How do I apply for ECF funds?
You can apply via the ECF portal<https://forms.universalservice.org/portal/login>.  If you have never participated in the E-Rate program and plan to apply for ECF funds, please click here<https://www.emergencyconnectivityfund.org/getting-started/ecf-portal-account/> to see directions on how to set up your portal account.

Are there further resources I can look at if I have additional specific questions?
Absolutely!

  *   I highly recommend checking out the FCC's ECF FAQ<https://www.fcc.gov/emergency-connectivity-fund-faqs> site (so many acronyms!)  If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can view the different subject headings (in blue)  associated with answers about various aspects of the program.  The FCC updates this site frequently as they offer new clarifications, so be sure to check back often.

  *   USAC is also providing helpful training sessions, both live and recorded.  You can view webinars and training options here<https://www.emergencyconnectivityfund.org/training/>.  Of note, there are upcoming live 'office hour' sessions on the following dates:
- Tuesday, April 26 @ 3:00 pm ET: ECF Window 3 Information Session - Register<https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/4942754889144972814>
- Tuesday, May 3 @ 3:00 pm ET: ECF Window 3 Office Hours - Register<https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/4161902621819264524>
- Tuesday, May 10 @ 3:00 pm ET: ECF Window 3 Office Hours -  Register<https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/7972726360807280911>

  *   Of course, there is always the E-Rate (ARPA - ECF) libguide page<https://tsla.libguides.com/c.php?g=784162&p=8450079>!
  *   USAC has also created a customer service center just for ECF questions.  You can contact them by either opening a customer service case in the EPC portal or by calling them at (800) 234-9781 from M-F, 8:00 am - 8:00 pm ET.

Happy filing!

Liz Thigpen Schreck | Director
Ocoee River Regional Library
State E-rate Coordinator for Public Libraries
Office of Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett
718 George St., NW, Athens, TN 37303
P. (423) 745-5194 - office;  (423) 649-1583 - direct
Regional Toll Free - (855) 692-8186
Fax (423) 649-1501

This electronic mail may be subject to the Tennessee Public Records Act, Tenn. Code Ann. §10-7-503 et seq.  Any reply to this email may also be subject to this act.

The mission of the Office of the Secretary of State is to exceed the expectations of our customers, the taxpayers, by operating at the highest levels of accuracy, cost-effectiveness, and accountability in a customer-centered environment.

Secretary of State Social Media Links:
www.facebook.com/TennesseeSecretaryofState<http://www.facebook.com/TennesseeSecretaryofState>
www.facebook.com/TNStateLibraryArchives/timeline<http://www.facebook.com/TNStateLibraryArchives/timeline>