Modified from Lindsey Kimery at TASL: PLEASE TAKE THE FOLLOWING ACTION!

Dear Colleagues:

It's time to rally once again to defeat proposed legislation that will impact our students' ability to access information they need for academic needs. On Monday, HB 2454/ SB 2292 passed the full House, and it is now scheduled for the full senate on April 21.  We need you to email and/or call your state senators tonight or tomorrow. We need your help!

You can find all the senators here:
https://www.capitol.tn.gov/senate/members/

BILL INFO
Obscenity and Pornography in School Online Resources - https://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/112/Bill/HB2454.pdf

Obscenity and Pornography - As introduced, redefines "obscene" to include material that has educational value; makes various changes to the internet acceptable use policy LEAs are required to adopt; requires providers of digital and online resources to ensure that users cannot access certain obscene material; requires a local board of education to establish a mechanism for parents, legal guardians, or students to report failures of the technology selected by the LEA to filter, block, or otherwise prevent access to pornography or obscenity through online resources and to submit an annual report to the state board of education regarding same. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17 and Title 49, Chapter 1.

HB 2454 – Sponsored by Reps Weaver , Doggett, Littleton, Lynn, Zachary, Moody, Crawford, Powers, Lafferty, Cepicky, Lamberth, Hulsey, Rudder, Haston, Carringer, Warner, Howell, Rudd, Griffey

SB2292 - Sponsored by Senator Mike Bell

SAMPLE EMAIL:

Dear Representative Smith:

Please VOTE NO to SB 2292, "Obscenity and Pornography in School Online Resources." Here are 6 reasons why:

1. A State Coordinator of School Libraries position for the TN Department of Education passed and is currently being funded. Let's allow the Department of Education, the State Coordinator, and the Tennessee Electronic Library to work together on this concern. We believe they can work together on this without interference from this proposed legislation.
2. The bill does not acknowledge or understand that there are safeguards and protections in place. Schools and public libraries must remain in compliance with the federal Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA), including use of filtering technology to control internet access, for continued eligibility for certain federal e-rate funding. Here are the FCC rules (https://www.in.gov/library/files/fccfinalrules.pdf).
3. Filtering is not perfect. Content filters are updated daily as new sites are available but online vendors are willing to work with libraries and schools to ensure students’ safety. The State Coordinator can partner with TEL to explore any necessary action that may be needed.
4. I also care deeply about our students' online safety. I teach my students to search for information from safe, credible sources and to evaluate information. This is a 21st century skill that is vital to their success in school, college, and beyond.
5. We need the Tennessee Electronic Library (TEL)! (Opportunity to personalize here...) My district does not provide any online research databases for our students. One database could cost our district $20,000-$30,000+. We rely on TEL to have access to credible, high-quality information for their research needs. Having access to the resources provided by the Tennessee Electronic Library helps our students be college and career ready.
6. More information is needed surrounding this proposed legislation. The College Board of Education is already watching because they are concerned about our students having access to online and print resources needed to support their work in Advanced Placement courses. Here's an article with information about this concern: https://www.today.com/parents/parents/high-schools-lose-ap-classes-banning-required-topics-rcna18813

(Add a sentence or two of personalization about your role in your school and why this matters to you and your students.

Please VOTE NO to SB 2292 today!

Sincerely,

Your name
contact info