Good Evening Geographers and Sustainers – If you graduated recently or are getting ready to graduate and are interested in working for local government as an entry level GIS person in the Knoxville area, send me your latest and greatest resume.

Apologies to my 499 students who’ve heard this before, but remember that GIS project experience (like GEOG 420), GIS undergraduate research experience, and internships all count as “GIS Experience” when applying for entry level jobs as a new grad. “Experience” isn’t limited to only those tasks you got paid for. On your resume, below your contact information and education, create a GIS Experience section and include your relevant GIS experience here. If you somehow still have room after that, you can include an “Other Experience” section below that and include other, less related jobs like retail, food service, landscaping, etc. If you have no idea what I’m talking about or need a refresher, check out the “Gaining Experience” and “Resume” sections of my UTK Geography Career Coaching Guide.

MC