Talking points:

HB 2454 was recently presented for consideration. This legislation’s
goal is to censor the Tennessee Electronic Library and other online
resources used in Tennessee schools. Library databases are not dangerous
and this legislation is not needed - an email to the Tennessee
Electronic Library or to the vendors would start a review process. There
are already filters and protections in place for the databases used by
students in schools. HB 2454/SB2292 would impact what is available in
TEL databases for adults, colleges and universities, community colleges
and public libraries.  Who will be censoring newspapers and archives
that are accessible to minors? It is essential that students learn to
navigate online databases, and that they have access to the resources
contained within them, in order to prepare for success in their careers
and college. Mastering these databases in K12 allows for students to be
college ready. Students often need access to college level materials to
complete their research papers and other assignments - this legislation
would censor those databases because minors have access to them through
dual enrollment, Advanced Placement classes and International
Baccalaureate courses. Complaints did not come from Tennessee students,
parents, teachers or librarians. Tell your state representatives and
senators why TEL is important to you, your students and your community.
Ask them to vote no for HB 2454.

Here are some additional talking points about HB2454/SB2292

  *

    Any database accessible by students would fall under this
    legislation which includes newspapers, encyclopedias and archives.

  *

    This filtering bill is unnecessary as it does not acknowledge or
    account for safeguards already in place.

  *

    Public schools that receive federal funds are already required under
    Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA)to have filters in place on
    school devices.

  *

    School boards adopt and implement acceptable use policies so that
    parents and students understand and agree to appropriate digital
    practices in school; violation of those policies results in a
    disciplinary and, if needed, counseling referral.

  *

    The idea that students are using educational databases to access
    pornography is simply false; these databases gather educational and
    mainstream media resources for academic use.

  *

    It is essential that students learn to navigate online databases,
    and that they have access to the resources contained within them, in
    order to prepare for success in careers and college.

  *

    We support a parent’s right to filter their child’s home devices or
    phones.

  * Research databases include thousands of titles and millions of
    articles. It is essential that students learn to navigate online
    databases, and that they have access to the resources contained
    within them, in order to prepare for success in their careers and
    college. Mastering these databases in K12 allows for students to be
    college ready. TEL recommends databases by grade levels but students
    often need access to college level materials to complete their
    research papers and other assignments.
  * This bill is unnecessary as it does not reflect safeguards already
    in place. Schools and public libraries must remain in compliance
    with the federal Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA),
    including use of utilize filtering technology to control internet
    access, for continued eligibility for certain federal e-rate
    funding. Here are the FCC rules
    (https://www.in.gov/library/files/fccfinalrules.pdf
    <https://www.in.gov/library/files/fccfinalrules.pdf>).
  * Filtering is not perfect. Content filters are updated daily as new
    sites are available but online vendors are willing to work with
    libraries and schools to ensure students’ safety.
  * The materials in question are not obscene or pornography.  While
    some of the content in question may be distasteful or not what that
    parent would select for their child, the content is not what a
    reasonable person would determine to be harmful to minors.
  * School libraries have been underfunded across Tennessee for many
    years and without TEL they would have no online resources.
  * This bill originated from outside of TN and the TN Eagle Forum and
    the bill’s sponsors are merely shopping around unnecessary
    legislation from Colorado and Texas. Introducing bills without
    talking to librarians or the Tennessee Electronic Library to
    understand how the online resources work is irresponsible.

Thanks,

Bryan