Hi TLA members,

I am just passing along this email from the Tennessee Association of School Librarians about an urgent advocacy need in regards to funding equity for school librarians in TN (copied below). You don't have to be a school librarian to comment on BEP funding and share this information with your representative!

"Happy New Year! We are asking you to take two action steps this week. This is a lengthy email, but we are counting on your participation in order to make our voices heard.

Also, we reviewed the results of our recent survey on school library funding, and we've attached two infographics for your information. You are welcome to include this data when you are communicating about library funding to the BEP subcommittees and to legislators.

1. Please submit a comment about school library funding by January 14th to [log in to unmask] so that your experience with how your school library is funded is shared.

Info from the TN Education Funding Newsletter:
January 14th is the last day public comment will be accepted for subcommittee members to review. Public comment will be shared with our subcommittees who are working hard to review all comments from social media, e-mails, and events. You can take a look at what fellow Tennesseans have submitted here and all recordings of subcommittee meetings are available hereAll Tennesseans can submit public comment via e-mail to [log in to unmask].

Here is a sample email that you can use or edit to meet your needs:

Dear Members of the BEP Subcommittees:

I am a school librarian in (name of) county. As you review the BEP funding structure, please consider our school libraries. We need a budget to be able to purchase new materials to support academic growth for all students and to replace out of date materials so that we adhere to State Minimum Requirements for library information centers.

According to recent data gathered by the Tennessee Association of School Librarians, the median budget provided to school libraries in Tennessee is $3,500. According to data gathered from School Library Journal, the national average is $6,355. The budget I received to purchase books, materials, and digital resources for my library fell below both the state and the national average. I received $1,000 from the district this year, and I earned $500 from a book fair. The collection age for my non-fiction books is in danger of not meeting the "Basic" level based on the State Minimum Requirements, and in order to rectify this, I need more funding to be able to purchase new books.

My students deserve a school library with up-to-date resources. I am asking you to consider how restructuring the BEP funding formula will impact our school libraries, as our school libraries are not funded equitably. I ask that funding for school libraries in Tennessee meet or exceed the national average, and for libraries with collections that fall below State Minimum Requirements, that additional funding be provided to help bring them back into compliance.

Or, if you feel that you receive adequate funding, please consider sending an email like this:

I am a school librarian in (name of) county. As you review the BEP funding structure, please consider our school libraries. We need a budget to be able to purchase new materials to support academic growth for all students and to replace out of date materials so that we adhere to State Minimum Requirements for library information centers.

According to recent data gathered by the Tennessee Association of School Librarians, the median budget provided to school libraries in Tennessee is $3,500. According to data gathered from School Library Journal, the national average is $6,355. I am concerned that we are well below the national average. With the rising costs of books and digital resources, we will not be able to keep up and provide our students with the quality resources they need to support their academic growth at this rate.

I ask that the committee recommend that districts provide funding to their school libraries that meets or exceeds the national average, and for libraries with collections that fall below State Minimum Requirements, that additional funding be provided to help bring them back into compliance. This will ensure that our school libraries are funded equitably across the state.

 2. Please email your state representative and state senator this week. The next TN General Assembly session starts Tuesday, January 11. Please introduce yourself and let them know you would like to be a resource for them about any questions they have regarding school libraries. You are encouraged to email the legislators for where you live and work, if they are different. You can find your legislators and their contact info here

Here is a sample email that you can use or edit to meet your needs:

Dear Representative Whitson (or Dear Senator Yarbro):

I am (your name), and I'm the school librarian at (name of school) in (district name). I live and work in your district. I would like to serve as a resource for you this year. Please know that I will be reaching out to you consistently to provide input and feedback on issues related to school libraries and education. This year, I ask that you support three issues that impact school libraries.

1. Support intellectual freedom for our students and be aware that school districts in your district already have reconsideration policies in place for school libraries and classroom instructional materials.

2. Support equitable funding for school libraries. According to recent data gathered by the Tennessee Association of School Librarians, the median budget provided to school libraries in Tennessee is $3,500. According to data gathered from School Library Journal, the national average is $6,355. I am concerned that we are well below the national average. With the rising costs of books and digital resources, we will not be able to meet State Minimum Requirements and provide our students with the quality resources they need to support their academic growth at this rate.

3. Support the reinstatement of a school library coordinator at the Tennessee Department of Education. This leader will be instrumental in reviewing and updating district policies for libraries and leveraging our school libraries to better support TN Best for All and Reading 360.

I am here to be a resource for you, so if you have any questions, please reach out. I also invite you to visit my library. Would you be interested in joining my next book club meeting virtually? My students and I would love to chat with you. (or provide another opportunity in which your legislator can connect with you).

Thank you for your support,

Your name
Contact info

Lindsey Kimery
Coordinator of Library Services, MNPS
AASL Chapter Delegates Chair| TASL Past-President
615-969-9755

Ari Baker
Executive Director
Tenn-Share, A Tennessee Library Consortium
615-669-8670
Pronouns: they, them, theirs
P.O. Box 691  Alcoa, TN 37701

Leading innovation, sparking creative ideas that transform Tennessee libraries.

DIRECT BILLING INQUIRIES TO [log in to unmask].

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!