From: UTK-iMedRIS <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Clayton, Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, January 6, 2022 4:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [Utk-imedris] New Policy on Student Principal Investigators

Hello University of Tennessee Knoxville Human Subjects Researchers! Hope you had a nice holiday break.

This message is to inform you that as of January 1, 2022, undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville will no longer be allowed to list themselves as the Principal Investigator on new study submissions in iMedRIS. Instead, these students should list their Faculty Advisor as the Principal Investigator on their submission and list themselves as a Co-PI or Sub-Investigator. Postdoctoral researchers will still be allowed to be Principal Investigators.

The Human Research Protection Program has been analyzing data on our research submissions over the past year and we noticed that some of our student Principal Investigators were having difficulty navigating the IRB submission and approval process. It is our hope that this policy change will help those students get approval for their research in a more timely manner. Having faculty Principal Investigators will also help with issues the HRPP office often sees with continuing research after students graduate from the university. Lastly, some studies that previously required an annual continuing review because they had a student PI will no longer require an annual continuing review since the PI will now be university faculty.

Submissions that have already been approved or are already in process as of today, January 6, 2022, will not be required to make changes to comply with this new policy, but any new submissions submitted after today will not be allowed to have student Principal Investigators.

If you have questions about this change, please contact Dr. Jennifer Engle, Director of the Human Research Protection Program at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

--

[http://images.utk.edu/images/interface/ut-emailsignature.gif]

Jennifer Engle, PhD, CIP
Director, Human Research Protection Program

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Human Research Protection Program
Blount Hall, room 410
1534 White Avenue