Trauma-Informed Librarianship: Building Communities of Care

Trauma-informed librarianship (TIL) is a vital practice that invites us to be intentional and deliberate about creating cultural shifts in how we approach our work to move towards healing, for our patrons, for each other, and for ourselves. This webinar will introduce participants to what trauma is and how it impacts both individuals and communities; the principles and goals of trauma-informed librarianship; how we can apply this lens to library services in actionable ways to better support survivors in our libraries, whether they are patrons or colleagues; and how we can take care of ourselves too, through 10 concrete self-care strategies.

Guest Speaker Karina Hagelin (they/them) is a chronically ill and disabled queer femme librarian who is passionate about working with library workers and librarians who are committed to creating cultures that center healing through radical empathy, collective care, and social justice work. Blending their lived experiences and expertise on trauma-informed librarianship, they lead diverse groups of librarians and library workers through engaging, interactive, and informative webinars + workshops. Karina is currently based in Ithaca, New York, where they most recently worked as an Outreach and Instruction Librarian at Cornell University. You can find out more about their work on their website, www.karinakilljoy.com.

This webinar is the first in a series on Trauma-Informed Librarianship. You can find upcoming webinars on this topic under our Spotlight Speaker Series

Code of Conduct
NNLM is dedicated to providing a welcoming and supportive environment for all people, regardless of background or identity. As such, we expect respectful interactions with instructors and learners.
Read the full Code of Conduct here.

Date(s): January 13, 2022

Time: 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM CST

Platform: Zoom

Register Here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Colbert Education Center and library building is closed for renovation. Access to online library resources remains

available at http://www.library.musc.edu/

Ms. Shannon D. Jones, MLS, M.Ed, AHIP

(she/her)

Director of Libraries & Professor

Medical University of South Carolina

Director, Region 2, NNLM

171 Ashley Avenue, Suite 419, MSC 403

Charleston, SC 29425-4030

Learn more about the Network of the National Library of Medicine: https://nnlm.gov/about/regions/region2

Not a member of NNLM? Join here: https://nnlm.gov/membership/join

View and apply for available Funding Awards here: https://musc.libguides.com/RMLFunding

*Meeting requests should be directed to Tasha Renfroe, [log in to unmask]