Hi All,

SIS is continuing the Book Read partnership with the UTK libraries for increasing awareness about diversity issues (locally) through book reads and facilitated discussions.

SIS participated in this last year - Dr. Bilal (on the committee) and Dr. Potnis, Hillary Tune and myself led book discussions. The book that we discussed last year was “So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo.”

https://www.lib.utk.edu/diversity/organizational-read/

For me, it was a fruitful engagement with peers from across the university and very empowering and cathartic. The feedback from last year was positive and therefore this collaboration is moving forward this year and hoping to make an even bigger forum for diversity related discussions.

If you are interested in participating in any capacity, please let me know and we will find a way to use your time and interest in the best possible way.

Additionally, if you think any student might be interested in this opportunity, please forward this message to them and encourage them to reach out to me. I think participating in organizing this event could be a very useful skill for them as they navigate their workplaces in the future.

Looking forward to hearing from many of you 😊

Thank you and I hope you are having a wonderful Monday,
Vandana

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Vandana Singh, PhD

Associate Professor,

School of Information Sciences,

University of Tennessee, Knoxville,