PLEASE READ AND MARK YOUR CALENDARS

Dear Geographers and Sustainers,

Mr. Michael Camponovo (GIS Outreach Coordinator) and I would like to invite you to attend the University of Tennessee’s Annual Geography Awareness Week Distinguished Lecture. Join us Thursday, November 18, 2021 to celebrate the work of Black Geographers, their contributions to geospatial analysis and advocacy, and their advancement of struggles for social and environmental justice.

In observance of Geography Awareness Week, the UTK Geography Department is hosting Dr. David Padgett as our Distinguished Speaker. Dr. Padgett is an Associate Professor and the Director of the Geographic Information Sciences Laboratory at Tennessee State University in Nashville. Dr. Padgett is a recipient of an AAG Presidential Achievement Award and a nationally respected expert in using the power of geospatial technology to address environmental and social justice issues working collaboratively with community stakeholders.

Please see attached fliers for the event and feel free to share them with your colleagues and classmates on campus.  I would encourage you to take advantage of hearing from Dr. Padgett, who is an accomplished geospatial scientist experienced in leveraging his field and expertise for public good. He is a passionate storyteller and will certainly not disappoint.

Please see event details below:

·        UTK Event Calendar https://calendar.utk.edu/event/geography_awareness_week_distinguished_speaker#

·        LinkedIn Article https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/geography-awareness-week-guest-speaker-michael-camponovo

Thanks for your time,

DA

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

He / Him / His

Professor of Geography

Department of Geography, University of Tennessee