Sorry: Friday, November 5th, 2021. 🙄
________________________________
From: Munoz, Solange
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 11:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>; Camponovo, Michael <[log in to unmask]>; Hinten, Melissa Talley <[log in to unmask]>; GeogFaculty <[log in to unmask]>; GeogGrads <[log in to unmask]>; Watkins, Jacob Alexander <[log in to unmask]>; Roman-Rivera, Mayra A <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Application for PAID Undergraduate Research Program for Spring 2022. Application due: November 6th, 2021

Apologies for any cross-postings.

Dear All

We have a new Undergraduate Research Program Initiative for Geography and Sustainability Majors (see below).  If you are interested, please fill out the attached application and send it back to me by November 6th, 2021.  Also, if you have any questions feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]

Colleagues, please tell your classes/students about this initiative, as I think it is a great opportunity to expand the undergraduate experience.

Thanks, Solange.

Departmental Research Assistantship Program

Student Application for Geography and Sustainability Majors

The Office of Undergraduate Research & Fellowships would like to announce our newest program to increase undergraduate research, URF Departmental Research Assistants Program. URF Departmental Research Assistants Program will begin this January and run to May 2022. The program will provide direct funding for one eligible undergraduate student per UTK/UTIA undergraduate-major serving academic department.  The new program will provide funding ($1500.00) for departments to hire one undergraduate student researcher in their unit during spring 2022. Assistance will be distributed by the department to the selected student as an employee and taxes will be deducted. Please be aware that this is an entry-level position, and not for students who are already conducting research with faculty.  (Please see eligibility below)

Application due by Friday: November 6th, 2021.

Project Descriptions:

Project #1: Dr. Luke: Appalachian Voices and the Closure of coal-fired plants in the TVA footprint

This project brings together an interdisciplinary research team to use mixed methods to evaluate the economic effects of proposed pathways to replace coal-fired generation in the TVA region. We have a need for research assistance with archival review of regulatory documents and contracts for energy efficiency and natural gas construction at regional utilities to identify project costs to include in our quantitative analysis. In addition, there will also be opportunities for an undergraduate researcher to work with me to carry out and code interviews as part of qualitative data collection to include customer and worker testimony about the effects of energy transition in impacted communities. If this project is supported, I would work closely with this student to develop their interview and archival research skills as well as encourage them to participate in writing and publication opportunities. In addition, this request has the full support of the project team and could provide connections for an interested student to work with regional energy and environmental justice advocates at and beyond Appalachian Voices.  Students are expected to present their research in at least one event/conference on UTK’s campus and we encourage them to also present at other local and/or regional conferences/events.

Project #2: Dr. Román-Rivera: Changing coastal management perspectives: Comparing transverse sand bars to man-made hardened structures

The nearshore is a transition zone between the land and continental shelf that is significantly influenced by waves during normal and extreme conditions. Nearshore zones are constantly changing, and their bathymetry varies both temporally and spatially. This project investigates the impact of transverse bars on erosion rates in nearshore zones. We will compare those dynamics to beaches that contain hard- engineered structures. The expected outcome of this work is a greater understanding of transverse bar impact on beach and dune erosion processes, which will be used to aid further research on the topic. The Research Assistant will aid in various aspects of this project including data collection and organization of aerial/satellite photography and weather data. The student may also be able to help with the digitization of coastal features. Through this project, the student will be able to learn or further develop skills in GIS and remote sensing techniques, as well as in spatial analysis. Students are also required to present portions of this research in at least one event/conference on UTK’s campus and we encourage them to also present at other local and/or regional conferences/events.