Good Morning Geographers and Sustainers,

The Tennessee Geographic Information Council is gearing up for the fall forum and I want to invite all of you to attend and participate. If you are graduating soon~ish, this is a great way to help share your skills and knowledge with the geospatial community in Tennessee, demonstrate your communication skills, and build your professional reputation. If you’ve been looking over your resume in preparation for all the job fairs coming up this month and see that your relevant experience section isn’t as strong as you would like, this is a way to build that up. And I mean all of you, no matter what your concentration is. Everything happens somewhere whether that relates to your academic interests in human geography, physical geography, urban and regional planning, or sustainability.

What could you present on or share? All of you have taken at least one GIS class and I know those classes have final projects. That story map you built for GEOG 311, the final project for your remote sensing class, and your final project for your field methods class would all be great examples to share. The deadlines for presentations are over a month away and the presentations aren’t until early November so there is plenty of time. And the presentations are pre-recorded which really reduces the stress involved in public speaking. The map gallery submissions aren’t due until late October.

What if you’re new to Geography and Sustainability and you haven’t completed one of these courses yet? Then join us as a participant to learn. You’ll be introduced to people who work in every type of organization imaginable like local and state government, federal agencies, national research labs, private companies, non-profits, and other students.

Event Details

Let me know if you have any questions.

Michael Camponovo

GIS Outreach Coordinator