Morning!

Through TEL, Tennesseans can create a free Transparent Language account and learn over 100 different languages including English. It's a great resource for students and adults! There have been some questions about account creation for students under 16. Here is some information that may help in determining use of Transparent Language in your own school.

About Account Creation in Transparent Language Online

User accounts in Transparent Language Online can be created by authorized students (age 16 and older) or by teachers, librarians, and other administrators.  When creating a user account, the creator is required to check the box (see below) indicating that they are over 16 years of age or that they are an adult authorized to create an account for the respective child.

[cid:[log in to unmask]] I agree to Transparent Language's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy [current Terms of Use and Privacy Policy can be found on Sign In Page<http://galesupport.com/telGeo/telGeoLink.php?loc=tel_s_tsla&db=TL>]. If this account is for myself, I confirm that I am 16 years of age or older. If this account is for a child, I confirm that I am a parent or other adult with authority to create an account for that child.

As a librarian or teacher, if you have questions or concerns about your authority to create user accounts for students, TEL suggests that you check with your school administration. If you need any additional information, please don't hesitate to contact TEL!

About Student Privacy in Transparent Language Online

Transparent Language takes user privacy and the protection of user information very seriously.  The program is both GDPR and California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA) compliant and we provide options for storing little or no PII (Personal Identification Information) data.  Transparent complies with all applicable Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requirements governing the use and disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information from Education Records. Transparent Language does not sell or rent personal information to third parties for any purposes.

To create a user account in Transparent Language Online, the system only requires a unique username and password.  Other optional data such as email address, first and last name, and phone number can be added, but are not required. Users can add or modify their account information in the user profile section of Transparent Language Online.   Users are also able to have their account permanently forgotten by clicking the "Forget Me" option in their user account area, or email Transparent Language technical support.

Data privacy security is handled in layers, starting with encryption layer provided by the secure certificate and ending with requiring very little if any sensitive user data.  All user data transmitted during registration, login, or updating, including library barcode numbers, passwords, usernames, and email addresses, are encrypted during transmission.

  *   Transparent Language Online Webinar for Supporting K12 Community<https://transparent.wistia.com/medias/2dnrz50sjd>
  *   Transparent Language Scoping & Sequencing<https://knowledge.transparent.com/educators-instructors#educator-resources>
  *   Transparent Language Marketing Materials<https://home.transparent.com/library-marketing-kit>

Andrea Zielke
TEL Administrator
Tennessee Electronic Library<https://www.tntel.info/>
Tennessee State Library and Archives
Office of Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett
1001 Rep. John Lewis Way North
Nashville, TN 37219
p 615-532-4627
f 615-532-9904

This electronic mail may be subject to the Tennessee Public Records Act, Tenn. Code Ann. §10-7-503 et seq.  Any reply to this email may also be subject to this act.

The mission of the Office of the Secretary of State is to exceed the expectations of our customers, the taxpayers, by operating at the highest levels of accuracy, cost-effectiveness, and accountability in a customer-centered environment.

Secretary of State Social Media Links:
www.facebook.com/TennesseeSecretaryofState<http://www.facebook.com/TennesseeSecretaryofState>
www.facebook.com/TNStateLibraryArchives/timeline<http://www.facebook.com/TNStateLibraryArchives/timeline>