The Millard Oakley Public Library in Livingston, TN (Overton County) is now fine free with the exceptions of a few loan-able items (telescopes, hotspots and musical instruments).

First I discussed the idea of the barriers to the folks who need us the most and how our fines could easily rack up. A family with no cable or internet who borrowed 5 DVDs and can come to the library on Thursdays for story-time. Their car breaks down and they can't get to town till the next week. They should call to renew but maybe they don't for whatever reason (like they are out of minutes on their phone). Now when they come back the next week they owe the library $17.50. This is a large amount of money when you are poor. They can no longer check out items because they own too much money. The items were returned and the library or other patrons are out very little in this exchange.
     The usual questions come up about will people  actually return the items, etc. Matt, our regional director, and I shared the findings from other libraries. I then suggested we reduce all book, audio-book and DVD charges to $.10 a day for the next few months while the board considered this action. We were in that state a few months then the pandemic hit and the board voted to temporarily suspend all late fees. When the restrictions were starting to lift last spring, the idea of permanently suspending fines was addressed again and it passed the board's vote. We have been in this state for about 4 months now and our money intake has not changed much. All fine and fees go back to our County's general fund anyway. We have not been in a fine free state long enough during "regular" conditions to study our own return statistics, but our patrons are happy to not have to worry so much.

Hope this helps!

Cynthia

Cynthia Julian-Simmons, MLIS
Director