Greetings Geography and Sustainability Alumni,
I'm going to be teaching Geography 499 this fall for the first time, which I'm genuinely excited about. I would like to invite UTK alumni, especially those of you with geography and sustainability backgrounds, to serve as mentors for the current 499 students. To be clear, this is open to any alumni whether or not you think you work/have worked in a discipline directly related to geography or sustainability. Here are the high level ideas.

  *   Meetings between mentors and mentees can be virtual or in-person
  *   I'm asking for a total of 4 hours of your time (one hour per month in August, September, October, and November). You and your mentee can determine how best to use that time (e.g. one hour-long meeting per month, two 30-minute sessions per month, etc)
  *   I'll host a virtual introduction session for mentors in August and record it for those who cannot attend live
  *   I'll work with Alexis Andershock from the UTK Center for Career Development to provide you with a list of potential activities, conversation topics, etc. You are welcome to use these ideas if you would like but are also free to 🎵 go your own way 🎶
  *   There are about 30 undergraduate students signed up for the class. I would like a one-to-one relationship between mentors and mentees if possible.
  *   I've created a Google Form (https://forms.gle/2pfS2WHXtZFEE7SQ8) where those interested in being a mentor can sign up and provide me with some professional details so that I can try and match mentors and mentees with similar professional and academic interests.
  *   If you know someone who would be interested in participating but isn’t on this email list, please forward them this information. I’ve posted this information on our UTK Geography LinkedIn group as well if that is easier to find.

As always, thank you for your ongoing support of our students and for sharing your time. If you have questions, comments, or concerns, please email me directly (DON’T reply all).

Michael Camponovo
GIS Outreach Coordinator
UTK Geography
gislab.utk.edu