Please do not reply to this message. Thank You. To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html

e-Newsletter | June 2021

Knoxville

Crossville

Jackson

We are aware of the current challenges related to coronavirus (COVID-19). UT is closely monitoring the situation and the Gardens will follow UT policies and changes regarding travel, classes and events. We will post updates via social media and websites in the event of any schedule changes or adaptations. For updated information, please visit https://utia.tennessee.edu/state-botanical-garden/ where you can connect to any of our three statewide sites.

June Gardening Tip

The best time to harvest most herbs is just before flowering. This is when the leaves contain the maximum essential oils.

Click here to read all gardening tips....

Plant of the Month

June: Trumpet Honeysuckle

Submitted by Shalena Durkot, coordinator, UT Gardens, Crossville

Lonicera sempervirens, commonly called trumpet or coral honeysuckle, is a climbing vine native to the eastern half of the United States. It is a real eye catcher in the garden and widely known to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Trumpet honeysuckle cultivars can be found that will provide blooms throughout the growing season followed by small, red berries that are eaten by songbirds.

Read more...

What's in Bloom in Your State Botanical Garden of Tennessee?

Knoxville - This ornamental pomegranate (Punica spp.) is putting on a show near the pavilion.

Crossville - What a beautiful welcome to the Plateau Discovery Gardens! Hydrangea arborescens 'Invincibelle Ruby' is planted right at the entrance.

Jackson - The hydrangeas are looking great in the UT Gardens, Jackson! Pictured are Hydrangea arborescens 'Annabelle', Hydrangea macrophylla 'Penny Mac' and in the foreground, Illicium parviflorum 'Florida Sunshine'.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Home Sweet Home Birdhouse Exhibit

Our 2021 Art in the Gardens exhibit is now on display. Almost 50 birdhouses have been decorated by local artists and mounted throughout the garden. The exhibit will be in place until early September, when we will hold a public auction to find new homes for each of the creations.

This annual program is always a lot of fun; pick up a brochure from the plaza, and see if you can find them all!

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Dogwood Arts - Art in Public Spaces

We are happy to display a large-scale sculpture each year as part of the Art in Public Spaces program. This year's piece, Two Arcs, was just installed yesterday by the sculptor, Matt Baral (pictured here with UT Gardens Interim Director, James Newburn, and his canine assistant, Lucy). You'll find it between the Monarch Waystation and the bog garden.

 UT Gardens, Crossville

Butterfly Notecards

Set of 8 blank notecards for $10

Help support the Gardens and purchase yours today!

These beautiful photos were taken right here in our butterfly garden. Each notecard is complete with plant name and butterfly identified on the back.

Contact Jennifer at [log in to unmask] or 931-484-0034 to place your order. Available for pickup at 320 Experiment Station Rd, Crossville, Tennessee. Can be shipped for additional fee.

UT Gardens, Crossville

Garden Angel Update

Our garden angel recently received a seasonal upgrade and has been relocated to our Sun Perennial Garden. Thank you to Cumberland County Master Gardeners Linda Glenn and Vicki May!

UT Gardens, Crossville

Meet our Summer Intern!

Meet our summer intern, Chloe Jaquish. She is entering her senior year at Tennessee Tech as an agriculture major with a concentration in horticulture.

Chloe says she will be happy working anywhere in the field, but is especially interested in botanical gardens.

She has already been a pleasure to mentor, and I look forward to educational field trips and seeing what she does with her intern project!

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Meet our Summer Interns!

Say 'Hi' to our new interns if you visit! They'll be out and about in the gardens all summer long.

Sara Long, Hailey Wright, and Wyatt Hester (pictured in the top row, from left to right) are horticulture interns. In the second row are Avery Moore, Tyler Bell, and Drew Getter, who are serving as summer camp counselors. Sarah Gunn (at right) is an intern in our Therapeutic Horticulture Program.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Summer Camps

Summer camps are almost full. There are still spots available in the Lil Gardeners Butterfly Week scheduled for the week of July 19. This is a half-day camp that will be repeated in the morning and in the afternoon; spaces are currently available in either session.

Feel free to contact Whitney with any questions at [log in to unmask]. We are looking forward to a great summer in the Gardens!

UT Gardens, Crossville

It's Bluebird Time in Tennessee!

This beautiful Bluebird mama is protecting her eggs. The monitoring report for May 26 revealed 13 Bluebird eggs, 5 new babies, and 9 that have fledged. Updates will continue throughout the summer.

Don Hazel, President of Tennessee Bluebird Society and founder of Cumberland County Bluebird Club, is planning an on-site class. Check our website and Facebook page for updates.

For additional information about bluebirds and the Tennessee Bluebird Society visit www.tnbluebirdsociety.org.

2021 Community Partners & Sponsors

Many thanks to our 2021 Community Partners for their support of the Gardens!

Our sponsors have supported the Gardens through generous donations of their products and/or services!

We also want to thank all of our members, volunteers, and visitors who support the Gardens! We couldn't do it without each of you!

Mailing Address:

UT Gardens

Room 112 Plant Biotech

2502 EJ Chapman Drive

Knoxville, TN 37996

Phone: (865) 974-7324

Fax: (865) 974-1947

Copyright © 2019 UT Gardens. All rights reserved.

Contact email: [log in to unmask]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Did your email address change? Visit http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html Remove your old email and add your new email address to continue receiving timely updates. Have you visited the Master Gardener Store? https://web.dii.utk.edu/agstore/c-49-master-gardener.aspx Check out the super comfortable Gardener's Kneeling Pads! To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html