Dear all,

I will be teaching GEOG 495 - Wetland Mapping and Monitoring in Fall 2021. Please find attached the flyer. Let me know if you have any questions.

Wetlands are one of the world’s most valuable natural resources. However, wetlands have been under threat and disappearing due to climate change, increasing population, urbanization, agriculture expansion, etc. To better manage and conserve wetland resources, we need to know the distribution and extent of wetlands and monitor their dynamic changes. Geographic Information System (GIS) and remote sensing technologies have been proven useful for mapping and monitoring wetland resources. In this course, we will cover wetland definitions, indicators (e.g., hydrology, soils, vegetation), classification methods, and classification systems. We will examine wetlands inventory in the U.S. and across the globe. We will investigate how remote sensing (e.g., LiDAR, SAR, hyperspectral, multispectral) and cloud computing can be used for large-scale wetland mapping and monitoring.

Check out this interactive web app I created for visualizing US National Wetlands Inventory: https://gishub.org/nwi

Demo: https://i.imgur.com/qaQaDSX.gif
[https://i.imgur.com/qaQaDSX.gif]

Qiusheng Wu, PhD