Dear Geographers and Sustainers,

This Fall I will be teaching Geography 435, Biogeography, in person on MWF afternoons (1:00-1:50).  There are a few seats left in the course and I invite you to consider enrolling or to suggest it to your advisees.

Geography 435 focuses on the changing distributions of plants, animals, and other organisms on Earth, and on the biological, physical, and cultural processes that have shaped these distribution patterns.  We will examine methods to document past and present biotic distributions and controls; explore impacts of shifting continents, climate change, and ancient and modern human societies on biotic distributions and biodiversity; and survey applications of biogeographic information and principles in conservation and land management.  There is no scheduled lab period, but we will work in some hands-on lab and field activities.

Geography 435 is open to both undergraduates and graduate students.  The course is included in the Landscapes and Environment concentration in our major, and in three College connections packages.  It is also a Global Challenges course in the College.

The attached advertisement has some additional information and images related to the course.

Sincerely,

Sally

Sally P. Horn, Professor
Department of Geography