Good morning folks,

If you are looking for a 400-level course for your fall schedule, please consider GEOG 430: Global Environments of the Quaternary. I have attached a flyer with details and will paste a description below. We will be back in the classroom this semester, so opportunities abound for hands-on activities!

This course can be taken for graduate or undergraduate credit and is open to all interested students. There is no prerequisite, but I do recommend assessing your background knowledge a bit. Geography 131/132 provides an ideal background, but other physical geography, geology, anthropology, or ecology courses can be substituted. A helpful question might be to ask yourself if you understand the basics of Earth’s glacial-interglacial cycles, including how and why they happen and how they affect climates, environments, plants, animals, and people on our planet. Note that it is possible to “catch up” on basic background knowledge if you are willing to put in a bit of extra work.

If you are unsure of your background or have other questions, please contact Dr. Kerr at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. I am happy to help!

Geography 430 focuses on physical and biological evidence of climate and environmental change over the two- to three-million-year period when humans and their close relatives have inhabited Earth. Lectures and readings will cover how scientists obtain and interpret evidence of Quaternary climate and environmental change, geographical and temporal patterns of change, drivers of change, and interrelationships with human society. A portion of class time will be used for student presentations, discussions, demonstrations, lab exercises, videos, and talks by guest experts. Demonstrations and exercises will give students experience with methods used to study past environments, taking advantage of ongoing research by Dr. Kerr and others in Geography, and in other campus departments.

Sincerely,

Matthew Kerr

Matthew T. Kerr, PhD

Department of Geography