Please do not reply to this message. Thank You.
To view the archives or join/leave TMG list:
http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html

[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/UT%20Gardens%20logo_color.png]

e-Newsletter | May 2021

Knoxville
[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/FB-f-Logo__blue_1024.png]<https://www.facebook.com/utgardensknoxville>
[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/ig-logo.png]<https://www.instagram.com/utgardensknoxville>
[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/Twitter_logo_blue.png]<https://twitter.com/utgardens>

Crossville
[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/FB-f-Logo__blue_1024.png]<https://www.facebook.com/PlateauDiscoveryGarden>

Jackson
[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/FB-f-Logo__blue_1024.png]<https://www.facebook.com/UT-Gardens-Jackson-175119765832847>

We are aware of the current challenges related to coronavirus (COVID-19). UT is closely monitoring the situation and the Gardens will follow UT policies and changes regarding travel, classes and events. We will post updates via social media and websites in the event of any schedule changes or adaptations. For updated information, please visit https://utia.tennessee.edu/state-botanical-garden/<https://utia.tennessee.edu/state-botanical-garden> where you can connect to any of our three statewide sites.

May Gardening Tip

Early May is a good time to cut back any woody perennials that need it, such as rosemary, rue, lavender, Santolina and Artemisia. If done before the danger of frost has passed, new growth may appear, and a freeze can kill that new growth or even the entire plant.

Click here to read all gardening tips....<https://ag.tennessee.edu/utg/Pages/monthlytasks.aspx>

Plant of the Month

May: Disease-Resistant Basil

Submitted by Holly Jones, horticulturist, UT Gardens, Knoxville

Have you noticed your sweet basil (Ocimum basilicum) plants suffering from diseased leaves and stems in recent years? If so, the chances are good that basil downy mildew (Peronospora belbahrii) is the culprit. This fungus-like pathogen has been plaguing farmers and home gardeners since it was identified in the U.S. in 2007. Thankfully, scientists, farmers, and home gardeners now have science-based tools and advice we can put to use to save our basil.
[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/Amazel_basil_by_H._Jones_web.jpg]<https://ag.tennessee.edu/news/Pages/POM-2019-12.aspx>

Read more...<https://utianews.tennessee.edu/disease-free-sweet-basil-new-varieties-resist-downy-mildew>

What's in Bloom in Your State Botanical Garden of Tennessee?

[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/iris_jxn.jpg]

Jackson - The iris collection is looking good this spring!

[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/IMG_4686.JPG]

Knoxville - Check out our collection of Dykes Medal Iris (the highest honor awarded to a registered iris by the American Iris Society) planted around the perimeter of our labyrinth. It's a riot of color right now!

[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/Solar%20Ray%20Azalea%20(2).jpg]

Crossville - One of my favorites! Azalea Solar Glow hybrid 'QbackA' planted in Dr. Mark Windham's hardiness trial for the Southern Living Plant Collection.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Thank You for Your Gala Participation!

[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/studio.png]

Thank you to everyone who tuned in to our 2021 Virtual Gala (and the Happy Half Hour) on April 30th! It was great to socialize, albeit virtually, and we were thrilled to honor Dr. Sue Hamilton for her many contributions to the UT Gardens in particular and to the field of public horticulture in general. We greatly appreciate the support of those who participated in the silent auction and everyone who donated to the Gardens in Knoxville and to the Sue Hamilton Endowment. Your generosity will have lasting impacts for our Garden!

UT Gardens, Jackson

Thank you for Your Spring Plant Sale Support!

[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/2021%20MG%20Sale%203.jpg]

UT Gardens, Jackson and Madison County Master Gardeners want to thank everyone for your continued support of our annual Spring Plant Sale in Jackson. The 2021 sale was a huge success with more than 2000 attending over three days. Between the two sales, there were approximately 500 different kinds of houseplants, annuals, perennials, vegetables, herbs, shrubs and trees! The partnership between our programs of Research & Extension within UTIA allows us to offer the public a unique opportunity for plant shopping and education. A special thanks goes to Master Gardeners who propagated and donated over 2600 plants for the Master Gardener portion of the sale and to all the Master Gardeners who volunteered their time working the two sales. A special thanks also goes to our shoppers for your patience and resilience as we limited the number of shoppers in the sale areas and faced rainy weather on Thursday with a smile (and poncho)! We hope to see you again and again!

Thanks again for all your support, and we look forward to sharing the UT Gardens with you at this year's Virtual Summer Celebration on July 8, 2021!

[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/2021%20MG%20Sale%202.jpg]

Above - The sale offered selections for all growing conditions - truly something for everyone!

Right - The Renfroe family braved the rain on Thursday to shop the plant sale. Georgia (left) and Beau (right) along with their mother, Ashley, went home with a nice selection of herbs and other plants.
[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/2021%20plant%20sale%20Ashley%20Georgia%20Beau%20Renfroe.jpg]

 UT Gardens, Jackson

Lunch-Time Liquidation Sale

[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/candle.jpg]

Did you miss the UT Gardens, Jackson Spring Plant Sale?

Don't miss the Lunch-time Liquidation Sale on Wednesday, May 12th from 11am - 1pm (Central) at the West Tennessee Research and Education Center. Cash or check only. Select plants will be 'Buy 2, Get 1 Free'. Check out the availability list<https://westtn.tennessee.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/35/2021/05/May-12th-2021-sale-for-distribution.pdf> for details.

We have about 100 candlestick plants (pictured) remaining for the sale.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Whimsical Art Comes to Children's Garden

There are some exciting new characters coming to the UT Gardens, Knoxville that, along with the beautiful plants, are sure to brighten your day.  Noted local artist Gwendolyn Kerney has offered to loan four of her whimsical sculptures in the garden for an extended exhibit during the spring and summer. As Gwendy has stated “I lean on the colorful, whimsical, joyful side of art”. Her sculptures certainly exude this refreshing attitude.
We first became familiar with Gwendy’s work when we began our annual Art in the Garden exhibit. When she arrived with her hummingbird we knew this serious artist had a fun side when “His Royal Highness Prince Humming” arrived complete with a crown.
[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/IMG_4729_rotated.JPG]

Since then she has participated every year, and her works bring top dollar at our auctions because of her bright, whimsical take on the subject matter.

In consultation with Gwendy and her partner Jim Parris, garden staff members James Newburn, Holly Jones, and Drew Bogert scoped out various locations in the Gardens. We all ultimately agreed that because of the delightful motif of her work, in and around the Children’s Garden was the perfect location for all four.  On May 7, the first of the four pieces was installed. Drew, horticulture and turfgrass manager, had prepared the concrete footing and Jim secured the sculpture. We now have a eight-foot tall, big blue bird with red, heart-shaped wings and polka dot legs who “Dreams of Flight” peering out at the kids on the lawn. Maybe the helium balloons in his beak will give him the lift he needs. His mere    presence is sure to give all visitors the lift they need. The other sculptures are to be installed by the end of May so we invite you to enjoy this wonderful exhibit!

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Home Sweet Home Birdhouse Exhibit

[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/bh2_crop.jpg]

Opening - Friday, June 4, 2021

6 - 8pm (Eastern)

Free and open to the public

We're so excited for this year's Art in the Garden display! You may recall that a few months ago we announced the theme for this year would be birdhouses. We recruited local artists, both amateur and professional, to complete 56 houses as they saw fit. And I must say, they have outdone themselves!

Home Sweet Home: A Birdhouse Exhibit will be installed in the garden soon. We will open it on Friday, June 4th with a socially-distanced in person reception. The exhibit will remain in the Gardens throughout the summer for your viewing pleasure. In early September, the birdhouses will be available for purchase at auction, so come pick out your favorites now!

UT Gardens, Crossville

Classes in the Garden

Each Thursday in May

10:00am CDT

Free to attend (on Zoom)

You don't want to miss our 'Thursday Morning Timely Topics'. This month's lineup includes: Interesting and Fun Container Plantings, Heirloom Vegetables for the Tennessee Garden, and Ferns, Spleenworts, and Clubmosses.
Register <https://tennessee.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUtc-%20mgqD4uGNBWP2hgV0aZ_dtB9axpmyTc>
[https://UtGardens.wildapricot.org/resources/Pictures/spring%20seasonal%20clock.jpg]

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Upcoming Adult Classes