Good afternoon,

On May 11th, the FCC released the official order and rules (see the hyperlink “FCC 21-58” below) for the Emergency Connectivity Funds (ECF).  Below is the preliminary information from USAC’s NewsBrief issued on 5/14/2021.

*Of special note:  prospective applicants will need to register their entity with the federal SAM.gov system to receive ECF reimbursements.  I have attached a very helpful guide (created and provided for me to share with you by fellow Pennsylvania E-Rate colleague, Julie Tritt Schell).  Please feel free to use this guide to help you set up your account.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Emergency Connectivity Fund Program

On May 11, 2021, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) released a Report and Order (FCC 21-58) establishing the Emergency Connectivity Fund (ECF) Program. Congress appropriated $7.171 billion for the ECF Program, which will be administered by USAC.

During the first funding window, schools and libraries will be able to apply for funding for purchases to be made between July 1, 2021-June 30, 2022 of eligible equipment, including Wi-Fi hotspots, modems, routers, and laptop and tablet computers, as well as commercially available broadband internet access services to meet the remote learning needs of students, school staff, and library patrons who would otherwise lack access to connected devices and broadband connections sufficient to engage in remote learning.

Where there are no commercially available broadband internet access services available, schools and libraries will be able to seek ECF Program support to construct or self-provision networks to connect students, school staff, and library patrons who would otherwise not be connected to the internet or for the customer premises equipment needed to receive access to educational content through datacasting.

Stay Informed

In the coming weeks, USAC will provide more information about the ECF Program, including timing for the program's application window.

As part of this effort, we will conduct ECF outreach including informational emails and trainings. Sign up to stay informed about the ECF Program and receive information about future training sessions. Please continue to check the USAC website for updates on the ECF Program and watch your email for important communications.

Get Ready

Schools and libraries that plan to participate in the program can get ready to apply by making sure they have an FCC Registration Number and an active SAM.gov registration (see below). If a school or library has already registered with both the FCC and SAM.gov, applicants should check to ensure their SAM.gov registration has not expired or will not expire in the near future.

ECF Program applicants can complete these registration steps before the application window opens.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I’ll send more as we find out more details, so be on the lookout for additional emails from me soon!

Best,

Liz

Liz Thigpen Schreck | Director

Ocoee River Regional Library

State E-rate Coordinator for Public Libraries

Office of Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett

718 George St., NW, Athens, TN 37303

P. (423) 745-5194 – office;  (423) 649-1583 - direct

Regional Toll Free - (855) 692-8186

Fax (423) 649-1501

This electronic mail may be subject to the Tennessee Public Records Act, Tenn. Code Ann. §10-7-503 et seq.  Any reply to this email may also be subject to this act.

The mission of the Office of the Secretary of State is to exceed the expectations of our customers, the taxpayers, by operating at the highest levels of accuracy, cost-effectiveness, and accountability in a customer-centered environment.

Secretary of State Social Media Links:

www.facebook.com/TennesseeSecretaryofState

www.facebook.com/TNStateLibraryArchives/timeline