Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance for the lengthy email!

First, let me say this is all preliminary information.  I do not yet have specifics, but I want to give everyone a head’s up with what I can tell you for now.

I’m sure by now, you have all heard of the $7.1 billion that is set to be available to schools and libraries through the E-Rate program as part of the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).  The FCC is in the process of creating rules about how this money will be used and distributed.

I don’t have specifics yet of exactly *how* these funds will be distributed, but USAC is going to be distributing available funds through their E-Rate program.  I hope to have the rules and more information about the mechanics of the distribution around May 10th or 11th, when the FCC posts the official rules.

WHAT WE KNOW…

What types of technology could I get with these funds?

How much can I be reimbursed?

How can I apply for my library?

Will these funds be distributed in the same way as the regular E-Rate funds?

I’ll want to apply to receive some of these funds, but I’ve never participated in E-Rate before.  How do I get started?

  1. First, you’ll need to obtain an FCC Registration Number.  You can do that by following the simple steps here.

*If it’s been a long time since your library participated in E-Rate and you’re not sure if you already have an FCC Registration Number (FRN), let me know and I can check*.

  1. Next, you’ll need to contact the Client Services Bureau (CSB) at 888-203-8100 and obtain a BEN (billed entity number) for your library or consortium. *Please see here for additional details about consortia (for library systems with branches).  Here is the information you’ll need on hand to have the CSB create an entity for you:

  1. Then, you’ll need to contact the CSB for them to create an EPC (E-Rate Productivity Center) user account for you.  For further information about EPC (and instructional videos), click here.

Why are you telling us all this?

If you don’t already participate in E-Rate, now is the time to set up an account and be prepared for when we DO know specifics about how these funds will be distributed.  I want you to have every opportunity to get set up ahead of time and be ready to apply to receive funds, if you wish.

What if I need to update any of my contact information or other information in my EPC portal?

You can do that now!  EPC profiles are currently unlocked and can be updated.

I’ll keep you posted with further updates as they become available.

All the best,

Liz

Liz Thigpen Schreck, Director

Ocoee River Regional Library

State E-rate Coordinator for Public Libraries

Office of Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett

718 George St., NW, Athens, TN 37303

Phone (423) 745-5194 – office;  (423) 649-1583 - direct

Regional Toll Free - (855) 692-8186

Fax (423) 649-1501

This electronic mail may be subject to the Tennessee Public Records Act, Tenn. Code Ann. §10-7-503 et seq.  Any reply to this email may also be subject to this act.

The mission of the Office of the Secretary of State is to exceed the expectations of our customers, the taxpayers, by operating at the highest levels of accuracy, cost-effectiveness, and accountability in a customer-centered environment.

Secretary of State Social Media Links:

www.facebook.com/TennesseeSecretaryofState

www.facebook.com/TNStateLibraryArchives/timeline