Please do not reply to this message. Thank You. To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html

e-Newsletter | March 2021

Knoxville

Crossville

Jackson

We are aware of the current challenges related to coronavirus (COVID-19). UT is closely monitoring the situation and the Gardens will follow UT policies and changes regarding travel, classes and events. We will post updates via social media and websites in the event of any schedule changes or adaptations. For updated information, please visit https://utia.tennessee.edu/state-botanical-garden/ where you can connect to any of our three statewide sites.

March Gardening Tip

Now is a great time to remove weeds from your garden beds. Doing so now will make the plant beds look better and prevent your cool season weeds from going to seed, which will make for fewer weeds next year.

Click here to read all gardening tips....

Plant of the Month

March: Trillium

Submitted by Alexandria Davidson, horticulturist and plant collections curator with the UT Gardens, Knoxville

Trillium, sometimes known by common names including wake robin or trinity flower, is a genus comprised of 49 species, with 39 of them being native to North America. In their native habitat trillium grow best in partly shaded, deciduous woodland areas. In early spring, these ephemeral beauties begin to emerge and cover forest floors where they have colonized. One of their common names, trinity flower, can help with identification as it refers to the arrangement of the plant's parts - leaves and flower petals - that occur in multiples of three.

Read more...

What's in Bloom in Your State Botanical Garden of Tennessee?

Crossville - Thymus x citriodorus 'Variegata' is one of my personal favorites, both in the garden and in the kitchen. The evergreen foliage makes a nice addition to containers, walkways, or flowering borders. Also great with chicken or fish, veggies and rice, or a zesty surprise in cookies or cake. This little jewel can be admired in our herb garden.

Jackson - Jason and Carson recently added 'Bonnie and Mike' Beacon® Oak, Prairie Sentinel® Hackberry, and Golden Candle™ Golden Raintree to the upright tree collection. The collection is located alongside the first road to the right as you come down the driveway to the Gardens. The three additions join the existing 16 different tall slender trees already in the collection.

Knoxville - Cornus officinalis 'Sunsphere' is putting on a vibrant show of early-season color right now! This will be available at our upcoming spring plant sale.

UT Gardens, Crossville

Spring Plant Sale

Spread the word! Our spring plant sale is now open to the public. Be sure to check out the updated form (available below in either PDF or Excel format), as there have been a few changes. Some plants have sold out, and some plants have been added.

Thank you to members who took advantage of the pre-order opportunity. If you aren't currently a member, you can join now to receive a 10% discount on your plant sale order.

Note: plant orders will be picked up at the UT Gardens, Crossville (320 Experiment Station Rd). You'll be contacted to schedule a pickup time once you've placed an order.

Click one of the buttons below to download the pre-order form and place your order. You can download in your choice of format, either PDF or Excel. More details are listed on the forms. Orders due by April 25.

We appreciate your support!

 UT Gardens, Crossville

Local History Fundraiser

Let's celebrate Women's History Month!

Master Gardener Glenda Wisdom gifted several copies of Cumberland County's First Hundred Years to raise funds for the Garden. They were left on behalf of her mother, Vancieneta Wisdom, who was named Woman of the Year by the Business and Professional Women's Club. She played a major role in restoring the Crossville Train Depot and Palace Theater on historic downtown Main Street. Some of the original Main Street photos can be viewed in the book. The books are new and in excellent condition

Cost is $20 per book. We can mail for an additional $5.

Sold by advance order while supplies last.

Contact Jennifer to order (931-484-0034 or [log in to unmask]) or order by mail using this order form. Make checks payable to 'University of Tennessee'

Orders may be picked up in office M-F 8am-4pm (Central) at the UT Plateau AgResearch Center, 320 Experiment Station Rd, Crossville, TN 38571

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Upcoming Spring Plant Sale

Member Presale - opens March 26

Public Sale - March 29-April 5

Curbside pickup for all orders will be scheduled for - April 9 - 10

2518 Jacob Drive, Knoxville

UT Gardens, Knoxville will be holding their upcoming Spring Plant Sale online again this year. Current Gardens members will get the opportunity to shop early on March 26, and will also receive a 10% discount on their purchase. If you aren't currently a member, you can join now in order to receive the preview sale link when we send it out. If you are a member affiliated with either Crossville or Jackson, please contact Beth at [log in to unmask] and ask to be included in the member sale preview email.

This sale will feature a diverse collection of expertly selected shrubs, trees, perennial and annual flower and foliage plants, edibles and much more. You can view a preliminary inventory of the plants that will be available (just be aware that it is subject to change).

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Wild Bird Extravaganza

Pick up date: Friday, March 26

Cost: $8 per kit for one, or

         $24 per kit for four

Wild Bird Extravaganza is a yearly fun celebration of spring at the UT Gardens. This year, we are choosing to bring the spring festivities right to your home! Kits contains craft and activity materials for one participant, with an option to buy a kit for four participants. Each craft and activity will be bird-related; what they eat, characteristics all birds share, and more. Of course, this kit will be food-allergy friendly since it will not include any food products. You will receive instructions for each activity via either paper or video. This is a great way to celebrate the beginning of spring and to learn all about birds, so join us in bringing Wild Bird Extravaganza to you!

This event is sponsored by Allergy & Asthma Affiliates; Allergy, Asthma and Sinus Center; University of Tennessee Federal Credit Union; and the Food Allergy Community of East Tennessee. Thank you to our sponsors for making this virtual event possible!

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Upcoming Adult Classes

Spring Flowering Tree & Shrub Walk