Good afternoon,

This week, we worked to submit a joint statement to members of the State
House's Education Instruction Subcommittee in regard to HB0800/SB1216
<https://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0800>.
Below is the letter that was sent to Education Instruction Subcommittee
members. The Subcommittee was scheduled to discuss this bill today,
however, it has been delayed until next week. Please read the bill
(hyperlinked above) and statement below. We could use your support in
contacting members of the  House Education Instruction Subcommittee to ask
them to vote against this bill by calling, sending an email, or tagging
them in social media posts. Here is the list of representatives
<https://www.capitol.tn.gov/house/committees/educationinstruct.aspx> on the
Subcommittee. Thanks, Erika

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Joint Statement on HB0800/SB1216 from Tennessee Association of School
Librarians, Tennessee Library Association, and Friends of Tennessee
Libraries

March 29, 2021

Bruce Griffey, Representative to District 75 introduced HB0800 on February
9th and the bill was introduced as SB1216
<https://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/112/Bill/SB1216.pdf> by Senator Niceley
of District 8. This bill seeks to prohibit “LEAs and public charter schools
from adopting or using textbooks and instructional materials or
supplemental instructional materials that promote, normalize, support, or
address lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, or transgender issues or lifestyles.”
(Tennessee
General Assembly
<https://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0800>
).

The Tennessee Library Association (TLA), Tennessee Association of School
Librarians (TASL), and Friends of the Tennessee Libraries (FoTL) jointly
express our strong disapproval of HB0800/SB1216 on the grounds that it is
unconstitutional and goes against the democratic ideal of free access to
information that is fundamental to the American way and the professional
ethics espoused within the library profession. Furthermore, school
districts already have reconsideration policies and controversial materials
policies for textbooks and materials. This legislation takes away the
rights of parents to have a voice in their student's education when it
comes to instructional materials and creates barriers to a school district
meeting the unique needs of their students.

In speaking out against this bill we are living up to the principles of the
Library Bill of Rights, specifically:

III. Libraries should challenge censorship in the fulfillment of their
responsibility to provide information and enlightenment.

IV. Libraries should cooperate with all persons and groups concerned with
resisting abridgment of free expression and free access to ideas.

Library Bill of Rights, American Library Association
<http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/librarybill>

This bill would be an act of censorship by the state General Assembly. The
First Amendment applies to both federal and state laws and states (should
we need reminding) that “Congress shall make no law respecting an
establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or
abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the
people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress
of grievances.”

Policymakers in America have attempted to enshrine censorship and
religion-based values in public school textbook policy many times over the
years and have repeatedly been admonished by the Supreme Court, such
as in Epperson
v. Arkansas, where “the Court struck down a state statute that made it
unlawful for any teacher in any state-supported educational institution to
teach the theory or doctrine that mankind ascended or descended from a
lower order of animals…” because it was a policy based on the reading of a
particular religious text and was therefore unconstitutional (
Consitution.Congress.Gov
<https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/amdt1-1-2-1-1-2-3/ALDE_00000715/>
).

Librarians have long been advocates for free speech and First Amendment
rights, thus we feel that it is our responsibility to publicly and
vehemently oppose harmful legislation such as HB0800/SB1216.

Signed,

Eryn Duffee, Chair

Tennessee Library Ecosystem Coalition (TLEC)

Erika Long, President

Tennessee Library Association (TLA)

Lindsey Kimery, President

Tennessee Association of School Librarians (TASL)

Diane Johnson, President

Friends of Tennessee Libraries (FOTL)

*Erika Long*
School Librarian—MNPS