If you want to keep up with the current legislation for the State School Library Coordinator bill, here is some info TASL sent out last week about where things are and what’s up next…

Thanks,

AZ

From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2021 4:59 PM
To: Andrea N. Zielke <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] State Coordinator Bill updates & action needed

*** This is an EXTERNAL email. Please exercise caution. DO NOT open attachments or click links from unknown senders or unexpected email - STS-Security. ***

Happy Friday! I'm writing to give you an update as to the developments this week in our efforts to get a state coordinator of school libraries reinstated in the TN Department of Education and to ask for your continued support.

HB0219 passed in the House Education Administration Committee on 3-24-21. Now, HB0219 goes to the Finance subcommittee. They meet Wednesday, March 31 at 11:00AM CST. Here's the agenda for their meeting. You can view the meeting here. Fortunately, Rep. Whitson, who is supporting HB0219, is on the Finance committee. HB0219 goes behind the budget, which means it means it won’t get taken up until after the budget is passed. Once the budget is passed and we know how much money there is to use for the different legislation, they have a long meeting where they pass bills if they get funded.

The companion bill, SB0347, is on the agenda in the Senate Education Committee for 3-31-21 at 1:30PM CST. You can view the meeting here

What can you do? Between today and Wednesday's meetings, please send emails:

TIPS:

  • Keep it short and remember that it's easiest for people to remember stories.

SAMPLE STRUCTURE FOR YOUR EMAIL:

  • Introduce yourself, and make your ask.
  • Give a short story or example(s) telling why this matters to you.
  • Thank them for their support and/or restate your ask.

SAMPLE EMAIL FOR YOUR REPRESENTATIVE:

Dear Representative (Last Name):

Please vote yes to HB0219 and fund a state coordinator of school libraries in the Department of Education. I am the librarian at (school) in (city), and I am counting on your support for this position.

A state coordinator of school libraries will help provide needed professional development that is specific to librarians. My district does not offer professional development designed for librarians, so I have to seek training on my own, which my district does not pay for. These costs add up for me and my family. Also, my district has significantly cut my library budget this year, and I have only been able to provide new books from book fair profits. I had only $1,500 to spend on books this year. The average cost of a library book is $15-$18. This does not provide an adequate number of books to help keep our collection current or to provide the recommended number of books per student according to the State Minimum Requirements. A state coordinator will help district leaders understand the value of funding libraries so that collections can be current and relevant to the needs of students and teachers.

Tennessee needs a librarian in the TN Department of Education to leverage the power of school libraries and librarians, so whether a school librarian is serving in a rural or urban district, we have the guidance we need to best support literacy initiatives like Reading 360 and there is greater equity for our students. Please vote YES on HB0219.

Sincerely,

Your Name

SAMPLE EMAIL FOR YOUR SENATOR:

Dear Senator (Last Name):

Please vote yes to SB0347 to reinstate a state coordinator of school libraries in the Department of Education. I am the librarian at (school) in (city), and I am counting on your support for this position.

[...]

Tennessee needs a librarian in the TN Department of Education to leverage the power of school libraries and librarians, so whether a school librarian is serving in a rural or urban district, we have the guidance we need to best support literacy initiatives like Reading 360 and there is greater equity for our students. Please vote YES on SB0347.

Sincerely,

Your Name

Please let them hear from you. This is a small way for you to help, and if we all take 5 minutes to do this, the cumulative effect has the potential to be a game changer for us. Please let me know if you have any questions, or reach out to your Area Rep, or to Amanda Smithfield of the Advocacy committee. Thanks!

Lindsey Kimery

Coordinator of Library Services, MNPS

TASL President 2021

615-969-9755

This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask]

Tennessee Association of School Librarians PO Box 2013, Goodlettsville, Tennessee 37072, United States

Remove My Email or Manage Preferences   Privacy Policy