Hello CCI Research Colleagues.

Please join me in congratulating our student research presentation award winners for the 43rd Annual CCI Research Symposium!  Each award winner is recognized below. Note that faculty co-authors are listed (a responsible conduct of research by our students!), however it was students who presented the work and participated in the discussion, which is why these are designated as Presentation awards.

Beyond the recorded presentations and live conversations that “flipped” the format – we also had some other unique components including interactive breaks between research sessions that really showed off our CCI talents. Thanks to everyone for sharing, especially Joan Rentsch and Erika Patillo for their pioneering efforts.  We also offered socially distanced snacks throughout the day for on-campus attendees and, thanks to Rachel Volentine, continued the tradition of lunchtime trivia adding a virtual twist.

We would appreciate if you could take a moment to complete a quick survey  that lets us know how you felt about the different components of this new format.

Congratulations All!

Student Research Stars

Best Masters Student Presentation

Ashley Orehek, Wade Bishop, & Hannah Collier

What (atmospheric/earth) science librarians and data managers really do?

Best Doctoral Student Research Presentation

 Charli Kerns

Do women get wings? Representations of female action sports athletes in Red Bull media house coverage

Kevin Mallary & Devendra Potnis

Assistive technologies as conduits for receiving valuable information services: A mixed methods study with with academic libraries and disabled students

 Kibum Youn & Matthew Pittman

Thank you, Artificial Intelligence (AI): The impact of computational advertising based on product and brand variations

 Jessica Barfield

Issues of identify for technologically enhanced bodies

Research Poster Kaleidoscope

Best Research Poster Presentation

Alex Carter, Dr. Courtney Childers

Super Bowl advertising in a pandemic

Student Session Participation Winners: Jess Barfield, Kevin Mallary, Jason Stamm,

Trivia Winners (Not Just Students): Leah Cannon, Anne Hensley, Ashley Orehek

Suzie Allard, Ph.D.

Chancellor’s Professor

CCI Board of Visitors Professor

Associate Dean for Research, College of Communication & Information

Director, Center for Information & Communication Studies

Professor, School of Information Sciences

University of Tennessee

1345 Circle Park Drive | 423 Communications Building| Knoxville, TN | 37996-0341 | USA

T  865.974.1369 | F  865.974.7878 | E [log in to unmask] | W http://cics.cci.utk.edu