Dear campus communicators,

Many of you may have heard the horrifying news about the Atlanta shooting that happened on Wednesday. Eight people were killed, among whom six were Asian women. Although the suspect denied that the killing was motivated by race, the shooting has shaken the whole Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community. DEI and CGE collaborated and issued a statement earlier today to support our AAPI community. It is now published on both DEI and CGE’s website.

MSL hosted a session last night to provide a space for the AAPI community on campus to process the emotions. There are quite a few follow-up events co-hosted by multiple units on campus, including a Rocky Topics by DOS on March 25th to address the AAPI community. We will have more details on the UT events calendar soon on how to participate. I attached an AAPI event calendar and one graphic of the March 25th Rocky Topics.

Please help spread the word and encourage your faculty, staff, and students to participate to show support. Use hashtag #StopAsianHate

Thank you!

Rachel

Rachel Rui, PhD
Director of Asia Engagement and Communications Director

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Center for Global Engagement
Room 110, International House
1623 Melrose Ave.

http://cge.utk.edu/

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram #UTKGlobal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= To view the CAMPCOMM archives or Join/Leave the list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/campcomm.html