Introducing Gale in Context: College

In some of the most recent webinars, our trainers have shown Gale in Context: College. You may be wondering if TEL has access to it, the answer is yes! But it’s complicated.

Background:

When the great name changing that happened a few summers ago, Student Resources in Context was renamed Gale in Context: High School.  Many colleges and universities felt the name change didn’t reflect all the users because that resource was often used in college courses but the new name implied that the resource wasn’t appropriate for secondary education even though the content remained the same. In order to serve both high school and college students,  Gale mirrored the content in Gale in Context: High School, took out the high school standards and named it Gale in Context: College. Behind the scenes, if you were using your TEL location ID, those in K12 would see High School, while colleges and universities display College since the path to the database was the same. As the content remained the same in both databases, I hadn’t listed it as a separate resource until now. Over the next year, Gale will be developing Gale in Context: College starting with adding over 765 new entries for the subjects of Criminal Justice, Economics, History (both U.S. and World), Literature, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology that are aligned with college/university studies. Because of these changes between the two databases, you can now see both databases listed on the TEL website under the All Resources list.

Why is it complicated?

For Colleges/Universities:

At this point, it is only possible to list one of the resources with your location ID. If you are a college with a teaching program and you want your student population to be able to use Gale in Context: College but you also have future teachers that would benefit from learning how to create lessons using Gale in Context: High School, I have a workaround. As your location ID is tagged as academic by default, your students should be seeing Gale in Context: College. To list Gale in Context: High School, you will need to use the generic TEL Portal URL. You will only receive your usage for the College product and your usage for High School will be added to the consortia account.

For High Schools:

As the journal titles haven’t changed, your students that are taking college level courses currently have access to the same titles using Gale in Context: High School. In the future, there will be a difference in titles that may not align with K12 curriculum.  Currently if you are using your location ID or Gale Pages, your students will be seeing Gale in Context: High School. If you want to list Gale in Context: College to support dual enrollment students or college level research, you can list Gale in Context: College using the generic TEL Portal URL. You will only receive your usage for the High School product and your usage for College will be added to the consortia account.

For Public Libraries:

If you want to list both resources on your website, you can only use your library location ID for one. With the other resource grab the TEL Portal URL. If you are using Gale Pages, you can add an additional resource (the icon should be loaded) and use the TEL URL.

Here is some additional materials for Gale in Context: College -

Gale In Context: College Training Materials and Projects

Gale In Context: College Marketing Materials

Gale in Context: MARC Records

We are working toward a permanent solution but I don’t have the timeframe for that. If you have any questions about how or why to list both Gale in Context: High School and Gale in Context: College, please reach out to me.

Andrea Zielke

TEL Administrator

Tennessee Electronic Library

Tennessee State Library and Archives

Office of Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett

403 7th Avenue North

Nashville, TN 37243

Phone: 615-532-4627

Fax: 615-532-9904

This electronic mail may be subject to the Tennessee Public Records Act, Tenn. Code Ann. §10-7-503 et seq.  Any reply to this email may also be subject to this act.

The mission of the Office of the Secretary of State is to exceed the expectations of our customers, the taxpayers, by operating at the highest levels of accuracy, cost-effectiveness, and accountability in a customer-centered environment.

www.facebook.com/TennesseeSecretaryofState

www.facebook.com/TNStateLibraryArchives/timeline