Good afternoon,

Library Legislative Day is today and in true fashion, librarians have
shared how much we love our communities. I won't recap the day because Eryn
Duffie will send a follow-up email with links and resources. Instead, I
want to immediately act on a recommendation Don Reynolds shared during the
session sharing the ALA One Voice Toolkit.

Don's question was "how are school libraries meeting the needs of parents
and inviting them to use those spaces?" He also wondered if public and
school libraries are working together to serve parents. I noted in the chat
that while some communities are capable of collaborating in such a way,
there is no general practice across the board. Thus, a recommendation that
we create a way for all to invite parents into this work.

I am convening a work group that will focus on building a sustainable
library ecosystem in Tennessee. This group will be charged with creating a
strategy and resources for creating a more cohesive connection between all
of our libraries to strengthen our ecosystem. One of the specifics of this
will include developing an effective way for public and school librarians
to collaborate on ways to engage parents in schools. Another will be to
create bridges for secondary schools and colleges and universities. And
finally, a plan for how all libraries can work together collaboratively to
serve our communities. After all, as stated in the ALA One Voice Toolkit,
"no library exists independent of the library ecosystem."

This is my call for volunteers to serve with the group to meet these goals.
Eryn Duffee will lead this group. I am seeking to add one of the following
types of librarians *OR* library workers: TSLA, FoTL, school, academic,
special, rural, urban, regional, public, and LIS student. If you would like
to volunteer or know someone who would be a great addition, please email me
by February 19.

Thanks,

*Erika Long*
School Librarian—MNPS