Please do not reply to this message. Thank You. To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html

e-Newsletter | January 2021

Knoxville

Crossville

Jackson

We are aware of the current challenges related to coronavirus (COVID-19). UT is closely monitoring the situation and the Gardens will follow UT policies and changes regarding travel, classes and events. We will post updates via social media and websites in the event of any schedule changes or adaptations. For updated information, please visit https://utia.tennessee.edu/state-botanical-garden/ where you can connect to any of our three statewide sites.

January Gardening Tip

Study seed catalogs if the cold days of winter seem unrelenting, and dream of lush, warmer days. (See related story below.)

Click here to read all gardening tips....

Plant of the Month

January: 'Taylor' Juniper

Submitted by Andy Pulte, distinguished lecturer and director, Department of Plant Sciences

There are several regions of the world where you can see the very narrow variation of Italian Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens 'Stricta' Zone (7)8-10) in cultivation. They thrive in warm Mediterranean climates, as their common name suggests. I've also seen very nice specimens in places like Charleston, South Carolina. However, I know several people across Tennessee who have tried with little success to grow this plant, perhaps due to the double whammy of wet-coldish winters and humidity. If you have seen the Italian Cypress and love its form and structure in the garden, there is a plant that comes very close to mimicking these attributes and can withstand Tennessee's climate.

Read more...

What's in Bloom in Your State Botanical Garden of Tennessee?

Jackson - Illicium parviflorum 'Florida Sunshine' glows in the winter sun by the gazebo.

Knoxville - Galanthus nivalis, commonly called Snowdrop, is a lovely ephemeral plant that provides brightness during our dreariest winter days! You can find them in the hosta garden and in Maria's garden.

Crossville - Illicium parviflorum 'Florida Sunshine' captures attention year-round with its chartreuse, evergreen foliage. This plant can be admired from the 'Front Porch' to the Gardens.

Now is the Perfect Time to Plan

Your 2021 Growing Season

One thing that brightens the gardener's home in the dead of winter is the beautiful seed and plant catalogs that arrive at this time of year. Filled with stunning pictures, they offer us a glimpse of what our gardens can be. However, are all those plants appropriate for your garden? Do you have the sun exposure needed, the soil type recommended, or live in the hardiness zone suitable for plant success? UT Extension has some great publications to help you determine what plants might be most appropriate for your site so that you are more likely to have success.

If you enjoy flowers and desire color in your garden, seed-grown annuals are perhaps the most economical way to achieve that. This draft publication gives valuable information on bloom time, growing requirements, and suggested cultivars.

For the perennial lover, or for those desiring a mixed border with a cottage garden feel check out this publication. Again, excellent information on growing requirements and cultivar selection, as well as notes on special attributes and design ideas.

Finally, for the fruit and vegetable gardener, this publication guides you through 12 months of vegetable gardening with great tips for a successful harvest.

These and other great gardening topics and resources specific to Tennessee can be found at UTHort.com and Extension Publications.

 UT Gardens, Crossville

Spring Plant Sale

I wanted to take this opportunity to share some new and exciting, award-winning plants that we will be offering at our Spring Plant Sale later this year. Current Garden members will get the chance to order early via pre-order forms that will be released next month. If you're affiliated with the Crossville site, you'll automatically receive the form via email. If you're a Knoxville or Jackson member that would like to participate, you can contact Jennifer ([log in to unmask] or 931-484-0034) to have it sent to you. Be aware that you would need to pick up your order at the Plateau Discovery Garden in Crossville. Happy New Year!

New Introductions

Buddleia 'Lilac Cascade' and 'Princess Pink'

Calibrachoa 'Coral Sun'

Delosperma 'Granita Raspberry' and 'Red Mountain Flame'

Dianthus 'Paint the Town Red'

Hibiscus 'Spinderella'

Hypoestes 'Hippo Red' (Polka Dot Plant)

Lantana 'Royale Red Zone'

Leucanthemum 'Ice Cream Dream'

Phlox 'Eye Caramba', 'Baby Doll Pink' and 'Ultraviolet'

Solenostemon 'Royale Pineapple Brandy' (Coleus)

New Award Winners

Buddleia 'Pugster Blue' (2021 Flowering Shrub of the Year)

Heuchera 'Dolce Wildberry' (2023 Proven Winners Perennial of the Year)

Hosta 'Wheee!" (2021 Proven Winners Hosta of the Year)

Hosta 'Diamond Lake' (2022 Proven Winners Hosta of the Year)

Nepeta 'Cat's Pajamas' (2021 Proven Winners Perennial of the Year)

UT Gardens, Crossville

Bird Treats Fundraiser

The bird treats have been a huge hit for people and birds alike! Cumberland County Master Gardeners will continue to make them through February. They would make a unique Valentine's Day gift, or enjoy in your own yard. Proceeds benefit the UT Gardens, Crossville: Plateau Discovery Gardens.

  • 1 1/2 lb Premium Bird Seed Wreath - $10
  • Birdy Bark Butter Log with 10 oz Bark Butter - $10
  • Extra 1 lb Birdy Bark Butter for Log or tray feedings - $5

Wreath and Log are packaged ready for gift giving! Birdseed wreath storage and shipping instructions included with each gift bag. 10x10 boxes are also available for $2 if you need additional packaging for the wreaths. Wreaths available with or without the heart.

Sold by advance order thru February: Call 931-484-0034 or email Jennifer at [log in to unmask]. Please provide the date you will need item(s) by when you place your order; allow up to 5-7 business days for wreaths, 2-3 days for the logs.

Orders may be picked up in office M-F 8am-4pm (Central time)

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Pamper Yourself or Someone You Love

Self-Care Kit

Pickup date: Friday, February 12, 2021

Limit: 15 kits available

Cost: $20 Garden member/ $25 nonmember

During 2020 we all learned the importance of self-care, so for this Valentine's Day treat yourself (or a loved one) to a self-love kit from the UT Gardens. Included will be a small plant, bath salts, and more. Each item is carefully selected to help you exercise self-care by making your environment healthier, expressing gratitude and appreciation for others, and helping you relax. Make this Valentine's Day one to show love for yourself; you've earned it!

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Upcoming Kids Classes

Friday Fun Day: Hibernation

January 21, 2021

10am-noon

Class size limit: 15

Cost: $10 Garden members/ $15 nonmembers

Have you ever wondered what happens to animals in the wintertime? Do all animals hibernate? What is hibernation? We will learn the answers to these questions and more at our first Friday Fun Day of the new year. Come ready to play and learn outside during the entire program.

This program is designed for 3, 4, and 5-year-olds, but all kids are welcome. Parents or guardians must stay with children during the program.

Friday Fun Day: Planting Cool Season Veggies

February 19, 2021

10am-noon

Class size limit: 15

Cost: $10 Garden members/ $15 nonmembers

Did you know that we can grow plants even during the cold weather? This session will teach you about plants that love cold weather. We will plant a few cool season veggies in the garden, and each participant will get to take home their very own seeds to plant. Join us for some winter gardening fun!

This program is designed for 3, 4, and 5-year-olds, but all kids are welcome. Parents or guardians must stay with children during the program.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Home Grown Classes

Our new semester began this month, and will be focused on learning about ecosystems! Join us once a month as we explore the different ecosystems at the Gardens and learn about the different plants and animals that live there. Please note - the time to register for the entire semester has passed, but you can still register for sessions individually.

Spring semester sessions: January 8; February 12; March 12; April 9; May 14

Time: 10am - noon

Cost per session: $10 Garden members/ $15 nonmembers

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Summer Camp

Who is ready for summertime? The snow is fun, but nothing compares to the freedom of summer. With that, we are thrilled to announce our 2021 summer camp sessions! New this year will be a camp for twelve to fourteen-year-olds in June and a week of half-days for four and five-year-olds. Check out our website to see the camp descriptions and register. Our plan is to have camp in-person while following university policies, especially regarding the Covid-19 situation. Spaces are extremely limited, so register early to reserve your space!

If, after registering, you determine your camper will not be able to attend you can apply the fee to a different week in 2021 or 2022 (or request a refund). Contact Whitney Welch if you have any questions about camp.

UT Gardens, Crossville

Volunteers Vital in 2020!

It was a different and crazy year to say the least! But our Cumberland County Master Gardeners continued to shine with over 5,000 volunteer hours. We are so thankful for all of our volunteers. Listed below are those that contributed 50+ hours.

Almost 2000 hours!:

Ernie Wood

200+ hours:

Susan Hufford

100+ hours:

Ginger Wade

Susan Partch

Ron Drechnik

Vicki May

Sid Morgan

100+ hours (cont'd):

Janet Coe

Linda Glenn

Rae Hozer

Mike Barron

Jan Rice

75+ hours

Fred Mullen

Maureen Gries

Jewell Wilhoite

Erin Fletcher Conley

50+ hours:

Patti Smith

Connie Farley

Dean Towers

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Volunteer Check-In

On December 17, volunteer coordinator Alice Clark hosted an end of the year virtual check-in for the Volunteers. We had over 25 volunteers join the fun via Zoom! We reflected on the many achievements of 2020, spoke about opportunities coming in January such as our docent training, greenhouse workdays and summer camp training, and we also played garden-themed bingo! Thank you for all of your help this year, volunteers - we look forward to seeing you in 2021!

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Helping Hands Kitchen Garden Success

Thanks to the hard work and dedication of our volunteers and program assistant Jaqueline Moss, the Knoxville Kitchen Garden donated over 700 lbs of fresh organic fruits and vegetables to area food banks in 2020. The produce was harvested each week and donated to the Society of St. Andrew who then distributed it out to 10 different organizations based on need. Jaqueline's position was made possible through funding from the US Botanic Garden and Public Gardens Association Urban Agriculture Program.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

White Christmas

Many areas across Tennessee received significant snowfall in December. East Tennessee began getting snow on Christmas Eve, and we awoke the next day to our first white Christmas in 10 years! Here are just a few photos of the winter wonderland at the Knoxville Gardens from that day.

Chestnut Class

A free online interactive course on the American chestnut (Castanea dentata) is now available from the USDA Forest Service Southern Research Station. This course is available to anyone through a simple registration process. Participants will be introduced to basic ecology and silvics, historic significance, and the demise of the tree species that once occupied 200 million acres in the eastern US. The course includes a glossary and links to dendrology tables, external webpages, and published scientific papers.

The course, An Introduction to the American Chestnut, was developed by Stacy Clark, research forester with the Southern Research Station and adjunct faculty in the Department of Forestry, Wildlife, and Fisheries at the University of Tennessee. For questions regarding the course, please contact Stacy Clark (phone 865-318-8391).

2020 Community Partners & Sponsors

Many thanks to our 2020 Community Partners for their support of the Gardens!

Our sponsors have supported the Gardens through generous donations of their products and/or services!

We also want to thank all of our members, volunteers, and visitors who support the Gardens! We couldn't do it without each of you!

Mailing Address:

UT Gardens

Room 112 Plant Biotech

2502 EJ Chapman Drive

Knoxville, TN 37996

Phone: (865) 974-7324

Fax: (865) 974-1947

Copyright © 2019 UT Gardens. All rights reserved.

Contact email: [log in to unmask]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Did your email address change? Visit http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html Remove your old email and add your new email address to continue receiving timely updates. Have you visited the Master Gardener Store? https://web.dii.utk.edu/agstore/c-49-master-gardener.aspx Check out the super comfortable Gardener's Kneeling Pads! To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html