[External Email]

TLA Members,

Happy {belated} New Year! 🎊 I hope your 2021 is off to a good start. I can say with certainty that officers and committee members have gotten back in the swing of things without missing a beat. We are working on a slate of candidates to present for the spring elections, continuing conference planning, finalizing Library Legislative Day, and so many other things. As we continue to showcase, advocate for, and provide support to libraries and librarians across the state, I ask that you also help the association and profession where you can. Here are a few important updates, some time sensitive.
  1. If you would like to nominate yourself or a colleague for an office, please submit their name to me via email no later than Wednesday evening, January 13. The following positions will be on the ballot:
    1. VP/President-Elect
    2. Recording Secretary (2 year term)
    3. At-large Rep - Academic Libraries (2 year term)
    4. At-large Rep - Special Libraries (2 year term)
    5. ALA Representative (3 year term)
  2. The extended deadline for submitting a session proposal for the conference is this Friday, January 15. The updated form allows for members to select if they are willing to present virtually. https://www.tnla.org/general/custom.asp?page=2021proposal
  3. The ALA Midwinter registration deadline has been extended to January 19 at 11:59pm CST. Reminder: student members and library professionals who have been laid off can register at no cost. https://2021.alamidwinter.org
  4. Winter newsletter content is due to Dwight Hunter by January 19. Reminder: this edition will include content for February-April. Any pertinent information or news updates should be emailed to [log in to unmask]
  5. Mark your calendar for Library Legislative Day, February 12. Registration is now open!
  6. Please view ALA's Statement on the violence at Capitol Hill if you haven't already. http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2021/01/ala-condemns-violence-capitol-hill-calls-advocacy
  7. AASL, ALA, along with 48 state school library associations sent the Biden-Harris transition team, including Secretary of Education nominee, stressing the importance of school librarians and asking them to make certain tasks priority. TASL has asked that we help to amplify this message on social media, in our communities, and with our legislators. http://www.ala.org/aasl/sites/ala.org.aasl/files/content/aaslissues/advocacy/AASL%20ALA%20letter_Education%20transition.pdf
Have a great week!

Erika Long
School Librarian—MNPS
President—TLA